Fast Ferments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does AG ferment faster than extract? My first AG batch was really slow to start (After 30 hrs I added yeast nutrient) it was finally going sunday morning.. by Monday night it had stopped again.. I though I might have sick yeasties but when I checked gravity it was at 1.011 so it is done but I have never had one ferment out that fast OG was 1.048

Is there a difference in the yeast used and the fermentation temp?
I'm not sure but I don't think ag would ferment any faster than extract.

budbo said:
Does AG ferment faster than extract? My first AG batch was really slow to start (After 30 hrs I added yeast nutrient) it was finally going sunday morning.. by Monday night it had stopped again.. I though I might have sick yeasties but when I checked gravity it was at 1.011 so it is done but I have never had one ferment out that fast OG was 1.048

Remember, if they used up all the oxygen before that 30 hours was up, then the yeasties were already making beer out of your wort before you saw any major signs of fermentation... Did you check the SG before you added the nutrient??? My guess is it fermented out in 4 days witch isn't out of the question... what yeast did you use and how did you aerate the wort???

Remember, starters and nutrients are your friend!!! :p

later,
mikey

Yeast was WLP002 English ale, Aeration was wort wizard then 20 min with a 1micron stone and plain filtered air. There was no activity at all when I added the nutrients the surface was foam free, no movement at all in air lock.. nothing looked just like it did when I pitched except the foam from aerating had fallen.
The kreuasan(sp) foam never got above about an inch.. it is the first time I used that yeast, so that may be the way it works.. was also the cleanest brew I ever put in the fermentor after using my new hopstopper

The english yeast strains always ferment super-fast in my experience. Four days is quite common. In this respect, low gravity bitters are good 'fast' beers.

I haven't seen any speed difference between AG and extract. I'd say 90% of the variation is in the yeast and the fermentation temperature.

Extract is Extract.:) The yeast aren't concerned with whether the extract came out of a can or your mash tun. They are just happy to have something to consume. A lower gravity beer coupled with a a fast acting yeast may have done the job for you more quickly and efficiently than anticipated.

The WLP002 English ale, is a high flocculation yeast. Is your primary a plastic bucket or a glass carboy? If you used a carboy, then your answer lies at the bottom of the carboy. If you used a plastic bucket, it will be more difficult to tell. Either way it sounds like you have enjoyed success with your first AG batch.

As Darth Konvel would say "welcome to the darkside":rockin:

mysterio said:
The english yeast strains always ferment super-fast in my experience. Four days is quite common. In this respect, low gravity bitters are good 'fast' beers.

I agree. It is done fermentation within 3 days for me, but in my case the process starts after only about 6 hours.

That was my first concern with it... I am used to my batches starting in 2-3 hours with a starter of within 6 -8 max pitching a vial.

Glib: It was a Glass carboy pitched Friday midday.. by Saturday evening there was barely a trace of sediment or of yeast noticable on the bottom, the gravity hadn't changed, and the wort was still clear.. I put in the nutrient and stirred it up saturday night, it was going Sunday morning and done by monday night. So this wasn't a 3 day ferment more like a 1.5 day.. either way it fermented out OK and the sample from my test vial tells me I have a very nice malty Brown shaping up.

That is a wicked fast ferment. Most yeast will take 3-7 days to ferment out, so your yeast was working overtime. Looks like you are ready to rack, and get cracking on AG#2.

What kind of yeast do you plan to use for the Asahi clone? It would be interesting to see how your next batch ferments out.

Most of my AG ferments have been about 3 days, same as extract. But my latest one took over a day to start, but burped for 9 days. I used White Labs California Ale yeast (WLP001), from a previous batch. I also got grain mill, and it was quite hard to turn compared to the home brew store's, and I slowed down the sparge a bit by crimping my output tube, and to top it off the temperature has warmed up a bit around here, so I've added too many variables to determine the long ferment. Probably all of the above. I plan on racking it tonight. it should be interesting. BTW, I never use any starters, just about 1/2 cup of room-temp yeast stored in the fridge from a previous batch.

Back