Fast fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsnight

Reaction score
Hello all, first post... I learned with a Mr. beer, now I have some new equipment! So I made my first half batch yesterday, an extract. After about 4 hours the airlock was going crazy, at 6hrs there was a 1/2" of krausen on top, I went to bed. This morning, airlock is still going mad, lots of krausen on top. Throughout the day things seem to be winding down, just a small amount of foam sitting on top at the 24hr mark. Maybe a bubble out of the airlock every 5 or 6 seconds.
I had a hard time getting my wort cooled down. It seemed to be at about 90 when I pitched the yeast starter (stick on thermometer doesn't seem to function so not for sure) also I set my carboy on the basement floor but, still seems pretty warm down there. I used safeale S-33, reading around on here it seems like this strain is very impatiant, wants to get to work like right NOW! maybe thats part of it. Any thoughts, Insight? Thank you

Temperature control is a huge thing. The yeast don't mind warm temperatures (they love it, actually), but you might mind the flavors that come along with fermenting too warm. Do you have any idea what your fermenting temperature has been? Pitching at 90* and then trying to lower it is a tough thing to do, especially once active fermentation has begun. The yeast will generate heat while they eat the sugars, meaning the temperature will often go up once fermentation starts unless you do something to keep it down.
A common and low-cost way of doing that is to get a rubbermade tub and fill it with cold water, put your primary in there and toss in a couple 2L bottles of frozen water. Have another few bottles of water in the freezer and every 12-24 hours switch out the bottles with more frozen water bottles. If you look up swamp coolers, you'll find more in-depth explanations.

Sure, I've read this before. At the moment it's looking like 77 deg. From when I pitched till this morning I'd say 5-10 deg. warmer. Just a guess from putting my hand on it now and comparing.

Should I just let it sit then? I think the temp. is pretty stable at this point. If so I guess i'll wait 2 weeks and take a reading/bottle. Thats my plan anyway.

That's pretty warm. If there were any off flavors that were going to be generated, they probably are already there and keeping it at that temp won't hurt at this point I don't think. Maybe someone will disagree with me, but usually the off flavors you want to avoid are created during the very beginning of fermentation - often times, even before you see any airlock activity. So with that in mind, I think you're past that point now, and into the phase where unwanted flavor compounds should begin to be broken down.

You may notice some banana or other fruity flavors from the yeast being so warm. Hopefully you won't have any fusel alcohols (hot flavor and hangover-inducing). Definitely let it sit for a couple weeks, it can only help.

My first batch was on a Mr. Beer, too. It was the American Light. I can't tell you how happy I am to have moved beyond that :) I still use the little brown keg for small batches, most recently for a small batch of apfelwein. What's your first recipe on the new equipment?

Back