Fantome Strange Ghost.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdawgh76

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I want to emulate this dark saison. It has a smooth, spiced, slightly soured taste. Ive done a bit of research and saw from a few posters that Fantome uses
Wyeast 3725 Bierre de Garde yeast. So Im set on this.

As far as the rest of the recipe should I start with a standard Saison recipe?:
6lbs Light dry malt extract
1lb wheat dry malt extract
1lb sugar (table, light belgian candy sugar or corn sugar) With out some of the other malts I would suggest a light belgian candy sugar for xtra flavor.

......and steep either a half pound of Carafa 2 or 3, or maybe belgian debittered black, to get the black color but no bitterness.
What about some Special B in the steep?

I have also read that Fantome adds juice after the ferment. I experimented by pouring lemonade into samples of beer and after doing so I really think Fantome does this, not with lemonade, but with some juice blend. The juice changed the mouthfeel instantly which was identical to most of Fantomes beers.

I was tinkering with the idea of pouring some bottle dregs from some sours into the ferment but Im starting to think this may be unnessecary. I dont want to have to wait months for that sourness to develop, and juice might cover that up.

How about pouring fresh fruit into the secondary like blueberries or something to get that sweetness?

Lots of questions I know but thanks for any insight. This beer doesnt follow a traditional Saison but it is a good good beer.

I've made this a few times (ag) and it turned out great every time. I wouldn't use the debittered black. Use candi sugar if you can. I have always added juice (either 2/3 raspberry/ 1/3 strawberry or vice versa). I haven't made it with lemonade. I didn't make mine with sour dregs. I used frozen juice concentrate to make mine; turned out great.

Oh great thanks a lot, any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of character would Special B add in a 15/20 minute steep and would it be worth it? I plan on using Carafa 3 to darken it and some caramunich to sweeten.

thx

Fantome Printemps is one of my favorites (Probably second to Orval). I have tried some Fantome clones in the past and fallen short of the mark. How did yours turn out?

Latest posts

Back