Fantasy Ales and Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheOceaneer said:
One day, I would like to tackle Spice Beer from Dune. From the description in the books, it should be deceptively strong, and taste predominantly of cinnamon. I'm thinking Belgian...

I do a spice ale that I tried to model on the series. I posted it in my recipes. It is basically an english mild with a load of spices. I had it on keg last Christmas and it was a hit due to the cinnamon. I overdid the nutmeg on the latest batch though. Also, I was finally able to track down some cobalt blue grolsch bottles to serve it in.

Cheers

RadicalEd said:
I really wish I could think of a drink popular in the Wheel of Time, but they all seemed content with mulled wine and tea.

Tea for the Sisters, of course. Forkroot tea for some. Anyway...

The only drink from tWoT that I think would be worth making would be oosquai. Not beer, but would be useful.

RadicalEd said:
I do seem to recall the lad's father's apple brandy being mentioned as delicious, though

The only batch we've "seen" was hardened just a bit too much.

RadicalEd said:
Sadly, not nearly enough to compile a recipe with

If you're seriously interested, I may be able to find out if Jim left any beer references in his notebook. I strongly doubt it, but I've been blown away by what's there before...

SRFeldman79 said:
seeing as how we only have two arms, which sleeve would you pick first, talleymonster, beer sleeve or star wars sleeve? where do your loyalties lie?

Well to quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "My allegiance is to the Republic!"

Ok, I'll show my geek side a little...

As an avid gamer we decided that dwarves wouldn't be drinkers of anything less than high quality beers. Elves on the other hand might also drink some amazing wines, meads and ciders, but on occasions might look into brewing some special festive ales, or lambic styles. Since dwarves take such care in things in their stonework and blacksmithing it only makes sense that their brewers would take their art just as seriously making good dwarven ales and lagers some of the best in their realms. So for kicks here's a quick thrown together Dwarven Old Ale to play with.

Dwarven Old Ale (compiled on BeerTools)

Extract and Grains
Yield: 5 gal
OG: 1.087
FG: 1.022
ABV: 8.64%
Bitterness: 37.45
1 hour boil

Light LME: 3.3 lbs
Light DME: 5 lbs
Caramel Malt 40L .5 lbs
Munich Malt 20L .25 lbs
Special-B Caramel Malt .25 lbs
Flaked Barley .25 lbs
Molasses 2 lbs
Northern Brewer 1.25 oz (60 mins)
Irish Moss 1 tsp (10 mins)
Oak chips 8 oz (secondary)
WLP005 (British Ale)
:drunk:

DiscoFetus said:
Ok, I'll show my geek side a little...

As an avid gamer we decided that dwarves wouldn't be drinkers of anything less than high quality beers. Elves on the other hand might also drink some amazing wines, meads and ciders, but on occasions might look into brewing some special festive ales, or lambic styles. Since dwarves take such care in things in their stonework and blacksmithing it only makes sense that their brewers would take their art just as seriously making good dwarven ales and lagers some of the best in their realms. So for kicks here's a quick thrown together Dwarven Old Ale to play with.

Dwarven Old Ale (compiled on BeerTools)

Extract and Grains
Yield: 5 gal
OG: 1.087
FG: 1.022
ABV: 8.64%
Bitterness: 37.45
1 hour boil

Light LME: 3.3 lbs
Light DME: 5 lbs
Caramel Malt 40L .5 lbs
Munich Malt 20L .25 lbs
Special-B Caramel Malt .25 lbs
Flaked Barley .25 lbs
Molasses 2 lbs
Northern Brewer 1.25 oz (60 mins)
Irish Moss 1 tsp (10 mins)
Oak chips 8 oz (secondary)
WLP005 (British Ale)
:drunk:

So how did this turn out, were the Dwarves Happy?

Wow! I couldn't have imagined that this thread would get so many responses!

I remember the name of the two series that I would like to base my brown ale off. The Belgariad is the first series by David Eddings and The Malloreon is the second series. I think I'll name the beer "Belgarath's Best Brown," really I think David Eddings puts enough detail into the taste of the ales that Belgarath drinks to copy one of them.

For all of you Dune fans out there, YES! Thank you so much for posting the Fremin Spiced ale recipe. I love the Frank Herbert books, and haven't read any of the series that his son has done.

Keep those ideas coming folks. The Dwarven Old ale recipe looks quite good. I could see them doing big Scotch Ales, Brown ales, Dwarven Imperial Stouts, and so on and so on. All of the lore of Dwarves places them drinking some type of beer/ale and it is usually steller.

Speaking of steller Dwarven Ale, what about the ale that Rip Van Winkle drinks? Who'd like to take a crack at that? :D :cross: HA! Sleeping for a few decades might do me some good!

From A Song of Ice and Fire:

"The beer was black and thick, so strong it stung the eyes."
"Tyrion's mouth was full of bread and fish. He took a swallow of strong black beer to wash it all down"

And thanks to that and the existance of a Stark Baltic Porter (from Sweden)

So I'm going to make up:

Winter is Coming Porter

6 gallon batch:

9 pounds Munton's dark DME
.5 pound of brown sugar
1 pound steeped oats
.5 pound maltodextrine
.25 pounds Caramunich
.75 pounds Carafa
.25 pounds Chocolate malt
.1 pounds Black Patent
.9 oz Nugget for 60 minutes
.3 oz Nugget for 10 minutes
1.5 oz of oak soaked in whiskey (both added into primary once the fermentation has died down)
Big bunch of Safale 04 slurry.

In primary for a month and then bottled with a high level of carbonation.

That'll be good and strong and thick and black without being especially bitter or needing especially long aging.

Bosh said:
From A Song of Ice and Fire:

"The beer was black and thick, so strong it stung the eyes."
"Tyrion's mouth was full of bread and fish. He took a swallow of strong black beer to wash it all down"

What is this from?

Going to resurect this thread with my Cleric's Water Sprinkler of Nem Ankh.

I don't know how many 1000's of batch of Jum-Jum Spiced Beer I made for Misty Thicket Picnics. It may have been a contributing factor in my starting to homebrew. What is Jum-Jum anyway?

Fantasy Ale-land?

herve.jpg

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I was going to brew a Spiced Red Ale based off some snippits of Dune:

Melange Ale

Brew Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.0 %
Boil Time: 75 min
Mash temp: 150

Ingredients
8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.0 %
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 23.3 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.40 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
1.25 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (75 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (0 min) Hops
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit II (White Labs #WLP410)

Spice additions (All gently crushed, boiled in water and added to secondary)
2 2" cinnamon sticks
7 allspice berries
1/2 nutmeg "nut"
6 cloves
12 cardamom bits
2 peppercorns

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Color: 16.8 SRM
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 %

Still haven't gotten around to it yet, and still tweaking, so yeah.

This is a long thread and I loved every second of it! Tarisian Ale is the search query that brought me here.

My Evaluation and Speculation to build a recipe: Taris is a temperate planet so they are able to grow their own ingredients, though unlikely from lack of available farm land due to over population. Tarisian Ale requires Tach glands to brew, this forced Taris to import the glands from Kashyyyk, and one would think since they were importing one ingredient, they might be able to import the other ingredients they arent able to grow locally. Kashyyyk is a forrest planet so any hops that are grown there would most likely be resistant to mildew/disease, that's as close as I can get to narrowing down hops. Taris is approximately 30% ocean and Tarisian Kelp was harvested to extinction by local nobles, I've included an article i found about brewing with kelp. I'm at a loss about yeast though, apparently Wookieepedia had an entry included about yeast which I've also included, as well as other citations.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Taris/Legends#Growthhttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tarisian_alehttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kashyyykhttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yeast/Legendshttps://oceana.org/blog/seaweed-beer-ocean-friendly-way-get-your-buzz

Back