Familiar with Cachaca? Thinking about brewing with it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I recently had cachaca ("kuh-shock-uh") for the first time. It's a Brazilian liquor made from sugarcane juice, similar to rum. My girlfriend was in Brazil recently and brought some back, along with some fantastic coffee.

I'm getting ready to brew a coffee stout with those Brazilian coffee beans. Moreover, I was planning on splitting this batch and oaking and bourbon-ing one half. But then I started thinking about cachaca instead of bourbon. I was planning on soaking a beerstix or oak spiral in bourbon then adding it to secondary for a while. So essentially I would just use cachaca instead. Any thoughts?

For research purposes, I want to get a good solid base stout and add some cachaca to it to see how it tastes. Anyone familiar with cachaca? I did a search and only saw someone using it in a honey wheat IPA.

I recently had cachaca ("kuh-shock-uh") for the first time. It's a Brazilian liquor made from sugarcane juice, similar to rum. My girlfriend was in Brazil recently and brought some back, along with some fantastic coffee.

I'm getting ready to brew a coffee stout with those Brazilian coffee beans. Moreover, I was planning on splitting this batch and oaking and bourbon-ing one half. But then I started thinking about cachaca instead of bourbon. I was planning on soaking a beerstix or oak spiral in bourbon then adding it to secondary for a while. So essentially I would just use cachaca instead. Any thoughts?

For research purposes, I want to get a good solid base stout and add some cachaca to it to see how it tastes. Anyone familiar with cachaca? I did a search and only saw someone using it in a honey wheat IPA.

I am from Brazil and all i can say about cachaca is, it is our worst liquor. Crappy and cheap as hell, will also give you your best hangover ever, by far :)

IMHO cachaca has nothing to contribute to a good beer, there is just no refinement, you will not find the qualities you find in a bourbon. Of course taste is subjective, if you do brew this cachaca experiment please post back your findings :tank:

I am from Brazil and all i can say about cachaca is, it is our worst liquor. Crappy and cheap as hell, will also give you your best hangover ever, by far :)

IMHO cachaca has nothing to contribute to a good beer, there is just no refinement, you will not find the qualities you find in a bourbon. Of course taste is subjective, if you do brew this cachaca experiment please post back your findings :tank:
Thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I was thinking. It is not a pleasant liquor to sip, that is for sure. Oh well, I'll probably stick with bourbon.

I most not have had a good brand because what I have had tasted a lot like drinking grass. Give me some good old Havana Club, should you travel to place that trades with Cuba :tank:

Back