When and where to add oak spirals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I'm 9 days into primary with a 'Belgian Stout'. I know I know, thats not a true style. But, it's what the recipe calls it so thats what I'm working with.

I followed the recipe to a T, hit 1.070 instead of 1.080 but all went well. My questions are all about the oak:

I have never used oak (I have french, medium toast spirals) and I've been reading some conflicting information.

Since I have no means of flushing my carboy with co2, would I be better off adding oak to primary? The oak packaging says extraction will be complete in 6 weeks but I may or may not let it sit that long. I've also been reading mixed reports on how fast spirals infuse ranging from 'over powering oak' in 2 weeks to 'let it ride for 6 months'...Does anyone have experience with this style and spirals?

How should I sanitize the oak? I do not like liquor so I don't want to go the route of soaking it in bourbon/other spirits. I have read to steam it, but also read to boil the spirals to get rid of some astringency prior to adding it to the beer.

I think thats all I'm stumped on right now. Thanks for any and all help! :mug:

If you don't want to use spirits, steaming or boiling in a small volume of water will pull out some of the more astringent and "woody" characters. This was my method for mellowing wood chips before I moved to toasted oak cubes. Given the style, I think a bit of boiling then added would work well. If it is 9 days into primary, I would say you can add from right now to whenever you want. I would say add it, then take a sample if possible once a week until close and then monitor until you are happy with it.

I would say add it, then take a sample if possible once a week until close and then monitor until you are happy with it.

Thanks for the input! I'll give the spirals about 5 minutes of boil before adding them in. Would you recommend racking into secondary with the oak, or just go straight into primary? Thanks again.

I must be sensitive to oak tannins but it is very easy to over oak beers IMHO. I treat my kegs as secondary's, so in that regard I suspend the spiral in a corny keg with dental floss tied to it so I can pull it out when I have infused enough oak. Depends on the spiral I guess, and boiling it helps remove some tannins. But I doubt you'll want to go the full six weeks that spirals are supposed to be fully spent out. Do you keg? If so, I suggest a keg as a secondary and pulling out the spiral after your taste tests tell you enough. If you don't keg I think KyleWolf's suggestion to oak in primary is most suitable.

Back