Help me decide what to do add to my Porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have a basic Porter brewing:

Partial Mash recipe (8.5 lbs grain):
3.5 lbs Pale Malt
1.25 lbs C75
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Coffee Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lbs Flaked Wheat
4 lbs Pale LME

0.75 lbs Pale LME to add at racking.

Recipe is for 7.5 gallons to get OG of 1.058, and 45 IBUs.

Current volume is 6 gallons in fermenter. I plan to split this into 3 smaller fermenters and add different additives to each, and make each one up to 2.5 gallons. Would like input as to what you think, and if you would do something different, or add anything.

1) Add 2.75 lbs blackberries + 0.25 lbs LME made up to 0.5 gallons, pasteurized at 160 F.

2) Add 2.75 lbs Cherries (with stones) + 3 ozs cocoa powder + 0.25 lbs LME made up to 0.5 gallons, pasteurized at 160 F.

3) Add 0.25 lbs LME in 0.5 gallons water, boiled. Add 2 ozs whole coffee beans to fermenter 7 days before bottling.

I think (1) and (2) are mostly set, but I feel like #3 is lacking something. I could add vanilla, oak, and/or some liquor (rum, bourbon, etc), but then I think I may be over doing it. Also my last 2 batches (Smoked Porter, and Oatmeal Stout) had bourbon added at bottling to part of each batch (which had sat on oak and vanilla for several weeks). They taste great, but want a change.

This is my last dark beer for a while; back to Hoppy beers and Belgians for a while.

#2 add vanilla.

I should get almond from the stones. Not sure I need vanilla too. Vanilla is an easy add since I have several beans that have been in vodka for months, but think it just might just get too muddled.

Back