Falconer's Flight Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaBrewMan

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm brewing a Pale Ale this Saturday and wanted to run my recipe by you guys to get your thoughts.

6 lbs Marris Otter
1/2 lbs of Melanoiden
1/2 lbs Crystal 60L
1/2 lbs of Carafoam
1 lbs of Munich

1.5 ounces of Magnum @ 60
1 ounce of FF @ 15 min
1 ounce of FF @ 10
1 ounce of FF @ 5
1 ounce of FF @ 1
3 ounce of FF Dry Hop

Wyeast 1968

This is my first brew in a couple years so looking for some advice

I don't like the Melanoidin malt in this. It is intensely malty and you have Munich malt in there already. Combined with the Maris otter malt, it would bo over the top with malt backbone. I would target an og of about 1.050 and Ibus of about 45 and not use the Melanoidin malt at all.

I don't love falconers flight but if you do, you have hopping at IPA levels there. You could either take it down a notch with the hopping or increase the malt to make it an IPA. Either way could be very good!

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for a malty backbone for my beer which is why I added the melanoidin. But that is a good thought that paired with the Maris Otter it could be a bit much.

1.5 ounces of Magnum at 60 is what I was originally suspect on. I was going back and forth with 1 ounce vs 1.5, which probably wont make much of a difference in the long run, but I guess I'm kind of nitpicky.

Back