Falconers flight ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
Ok so I'm at two weeks in the primary as of this second I just took my first hydro and with temp correction I'm at 1.020. The FG should be 1.016-1.019 so I'm not there just yet but darn close. It smells and taste pretty damn good already. I need to dry hop this with some more FF hops. I still see signs of active fermentation when I was taking my sample. I'm going to leave it until Sunday or Monday as we have a bachelor party in Windsor this weekend. It's pretty clear already but should I rack this to my secondary? For better taste and clarity? Also I've read you should rack before fermentation is done, why is this or is that false?

There are a few instances where racking to secondary is recommended. Fruit additions are an example. Some say dry hopping is a good reason, some say it is not.

There is always added risk of infection when transferring. Thorough sanitation is required for all fittings/tubes and vessel. And too much headspace in the carboy can sometimes be a problem (not too often).

But most instances are not a case of "should rack to secondary". It becomes a matter of preference that can sometimes depend on results of the primary ferment. You just need to answer the question - "how clear do I want it".

Recipes and brewing techniques can make a difference on that outcome. But a cloudy beer, or one that has a few particles in it is no big deal when it comes to taste. Adding finings and cold crashing in the primary bucket will clear it. If you don't fancy that, then secondary (and finings) will clear it up.

Cold crashing is not an option for my situation, so I secondary when I choose to do so.

P.S. The Co2 bubbles in your hydrometer test are normal, even at FG. The beer holds a varying amount of Co2 in it all the time.

Latest posts

Back