Extract Sub for Golden Promise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewglar

Reaction score
I have a recipe (skotrat's traquair house ale) that calls for almost all Golden Promise malt, and a lot of it. Is there a certain extract, lme or dme, that would help recreate the extra maltiness Golden Promise would bring? Thanks!

I have a recipe (skotrat's traquair house ale) that calls for almost all Golden Promise malt, and a lot of it. Is there a certain extract, lme or dme, that would help recreate the extra maltiness Golden Promise would bring? Thanks!

I love that recipe. I've brewed it (all grain) several times, and actually it's next on my to-do list.

I'm going to try a 50/50 combo of UK pale malt and Maris Otter if Golden Promise isn't available. I used 100% Maris Otter once, and although the beer tasted great I wouldn't have minded if it was a little less Maris Ottery, if you know what I mean.

Btw, Skotrat uses Northern Brewer hops but the Traquair House site says they use East Kent Goldings.

I've always used EKG. You can't go wrong with that, or a combination of EKG and Fuggles. This isn't supposed to be a hop-forward beer, so Northern Brewer might be a little stronger than what I want in a Scotch ale. I'm sure the beer would taste fine with NB though.

One more thing: My LHBS seems to run out of Wyeast 1728 quickly and I've had to use White Labs WLP028 a couple of times. They're supposed to be the same strain, but for some reason I like the Wyeast version a little bit better. I haven't done a side-by-side test though, so I could be imagining things. Alhtough...I ferment this in the low 60s and the 1728 supposedly tolerates cooler temperatures better than 028, so maybe that's it.

Awesome, sounds great. Yeah I wouldn't think the hops would make a very big difference here, just making sure. And thanks, my LHBS has only Wyeast and they usually have a pretty good stock, so hopefully they still have some 1728 left. Can't wait to brew it, it's finally cold enough outside for me to get that cooler fermentation temp in my cellar

Some hops used in the boil for bittering will carry some of their flavor through to the finished beer. EKG. Fuggles, and Northern Brewer probably won't. I've used Magnum and Nugget for bittering too. You need to compare the alpha acid of each and use the appropriate amount to get the level of bitterness. I make 2 1/2 gallon batches and I'll often use only 1/4 ounce of bittering hops.

I used Cascade hops for bittering a cream ale and the grapefruit flavor of those hops carried through.

Yeah I was just planning on using EKG or Fuggles if I need to, not a huge hophead and definitely don't wan't any of those strong citrusy aromas or flavors for this one

I am drinking a clone of Founders Mosaic Promise-- I found the dry extract at my LHBS. Founders is around 5.5 abv and I think 50 IBUs. I made an "imperial version" 7.5% and 70 IBU's. Single malt and single hop with American Ale yeast.

Your home brew store should be able to get it. I got mine at Keystone Home Brew, Bethlehem, PA

Back