extract still good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmorkat

Reaction score
Hey I got a quick question for you guys. I bought a rouge dead guy ale extract kit from AHB and it arived at my house on may 5th. due to my work I was not able to brew it and probably wont until this weekend. the yeast was put in the fridge but everything else was left out. It has not been above 68 degrees in the house since then and I wanted to know if everything will be ok or should I chunck it? thanks Brady

it will be fine.

Bacteria usually doesn't grow very well on maple syrup or honey or jam because it has a very high sugar content (look up cellular osmosis). Same principle applies with extract. If mold or bacteria grows anywhere it grows on the surface where water condenses and forms a layer above the extract. If this is the case scrape that layer off and use it.

What about the Hops and the Grains. The reason it didnt get brewed is because I am in the military and was in Afganistan. I had called the wife and asked her to put the yeast in the fridge but I forgot about the hops and grains. I just dont want to put forthe the effort and brew a batch that was bad to begin with.

All should be good, but if you are not going to brew soon, definitely put the hops in the fridge. Or, if you are worried everything is ruined, send it to me and I will properly dispose of it for you :mug:

if the hops are sealed in a foil pack they will be fine, the grains will be good for about a month from the time they are crushed if kept in an air tight container or ziplock bag. If you are worried about the grains, toss em and get fresh from your local home brew shop, will cost you all of 2 to 3 bucks for some peace of mind. But I would use the ones you have...

I'm just here to spell out austin homebrew supply - so forrest can search and find this thread.

He brings up a good point, austin home brew is a great place and forrest does searches regularly for people talking about his store.

BTW Forrest my offer to allow you to carry my alien love child still stands.

I recently brewed a batch in which I used some grain that had been crushed, and left out (in a plastic bag though) for over a month. It was fine.

Brew your beer and don't worry.

Any time I start to freak out about my sanitation or ingredient freshness, I remember that people have been making beer for a long, long, time, and my problems probably pale in comparison to theirs. :)

Back