Extract Oatmeal Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDog

Reaction score
I found this recipe for an oatmeal porter that was linked to from a search;

Specialty Grains

Black Patent 8.0 ounces
Crystal 120 4.0 ounces
Flaked Oats 1.0 pounds

Extract

DME dark 5.0 pounds

Hops

Northern Brewer (60min) .75 ounces
Challenger (5min) 1.0 ounce

Yeast

Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale

I was thinking about making a few changes though. What do you guys think about adding 6 ounces of chocolate malt to the grain bill and increasing the extract from 5 to 6 pounds? I want to add a nice chocolate component and bring the alcohol up a bit from 4% to a bit over 5%. I know this would probably move it more into the stout category. I was also thinking about a little roasted malt, around 4 ounces, for that roasted coffee flavor unless you already get that from the dark DME.

Thanks for any input,

GreenDog

Chocolate is more chocolate-y in smaller quantities. A couple of ounces usually. At 8 ounces it starts to be nutty, I believe (read Deathbrewer's thread on grains).

If you want it to be really chocolate-y, then use cocoa nibs.

Dark DME doesn't have that much roasted flavor, IMO.

OK, after looking around at some other recipes for oatmeal stouts I think I have decided on a slightly modified recipe. I'm going to try and brew this later tonight unless anyone sees any issues. I couldn't find anything else about chocolate malt adding to much of a nutty flavor.

Specialty Grains

Flaked Oats 1.0# 11.11%
Chocolate Malt .75# 8.33%
Black Patent .50# 5.56%
Roasted Barley .50# 5.56%
Crystal 120 .25# 2.78%

Extract

Light DME 6.0#

Hops

Northern Brewer (60min) 1.0 ounces
Challenger (5min) 1.0 ounce

Yeast

Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale

Thanks as always,

GreenDog

You need some 2-row to convert the oats, I think. Drop 1 lb. of extract and add 1.4 lbs. of 2-row, depending on your efficiency (I'm assuming ~70%).

Nutty is considered a good thing in an oatmeal stout... but I don't know much about porters. Do what you think is best. :)

Latest posts

Back