Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster101

Reaction score
On my 3rd extract brewing kit. I Got the northern brewer pale ale kit for summer. Going to brew this weekend. Any one done it? Have any advice?
Looking for a summer ale with a good taste.

I've heard excellent things about NB kits. Never brewed any myself, but I'm sure it will turn out great. RDWHAHB!

I just transferred the cream ale to secondary. Ill let you know how it goes in about 3 weeks. When I racked it it was already crystal clear and had a nice "drink me in a hammock" flavor.

I just brewed that same kit on Saturday. The bubbling started to slow in the airlock today. Fingers crossed I didn't screw anything up :p

I based a few recipes off some of their kits,turned out pretty good,their malt extract is good also as well as their nicely organized packaging.Flat rate shipping is pretty nice considering how much i ordered a few times. Ill have to check this kit out.I would dry hop it to make it extra extra. If you have extra hops.

Well. I brewed the extra pale ale to the letter of the instructions. OG came in at 1.041. Ok, I rehydrated the dry yeast about 40 minutes prior to pitching in 75 degree water, about the same as the wort after the ice bath. I oxygenated the wort, as I have read to do in every book. I shook the wort vigorously, and put it through a course strainer, prior to pitching the yeast.
Now I read that dry yeast should not have oygenated wort. Especially safeale dry yeast because its bad for it.
Thoughts?

I've never had a bad NB extract kit. Let us know how these turn out! My standard spiel is "fermentation temperatures! stay in the low 60s!" but since it's your third brew, I'd guess you've about got that one down. Don't neglect it after vigorous fermentation has stopped though- that's no excuse to get lazy.

Well. I brewed the extra pale ale to the letter of the instructions. OG came in at 1.041. Ok, I rehydrated the dry yeast about 40 minutes prior to pitching in 75 degree water, about the same as the wort after the ice bath. I oxygenated the wort, as I have read to do in every book. I shook the wort vigorously, and put it through a course strainer, prior to pitching the yeast.
Now I read that dry yeast should not have oygenated wort. Especially safeale dry yeast because its bad for it.
Thoughts?

You're totally fine. At worst, oxygenating wort with dry yeast may be unnecessary. I think the idea that oxygenating with dry yeast contributes to staling/oxidation of finished beer is way overblown. I've never experienced that. I usually do a little aeration with all of my beers, but more with liquid yeasts.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I let it ferment in the basement. Thermometer says 63-65 degrees. Very stable.
What does stalling/oxygenated beer taste like...rancid?

Best beer I have made to date. Deliciously hoppy and light.

NIce! Oxidation is not common.Its usually time or length and lack of a tight seal(oxygen replacing co2) or excessive movement of the beer before bottleing.I havent got it yet with well aged beers,in fact i dont really know what oxidation is specifically.All of my over year old beers are pretty good. Got any left? You origionally wanted a summer beer.

Latest posts

Back