External Regulator, Internal CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanP

Reaction score
I have seen the question of internal/external CO2 tanks in a kegerator build addressed many times on here, but what about keeping the tank in the fridge with a line out to the regulator, and the gas line(s) back in to the fridge? Yes, it's one/two more hole(s) to drill compared to keeping both the tank and regulator outside, but keeping only the regulator outside would allow for adjustments in CO2 and allow the tank to be monitored more easily without having to set it out or strap it to the fridge. I built a dual-tap kegerator from an Igloo FR465 mini-fridge, but without having a place to put the regulator, I may not have room for a 2nd keg. There is room for two kegs and a 5-lb tank on the hump, but I don't think there is enough clearance over the top for the regulator to fit...

My question is
, are there any issues with an external regulator & internal tank besides having another hole in the fridge to fuss over, and are there any builds available? Trying to decide (assuming I go through with this idea) if I should set the regulator on the top or in the door, but that's a whole 'nother dilemma.

You will need a high pressure hose from the CO2 tank to the regulator. These hoses (the ones I've seen anyway) are very stiff and usually come in 6' lengths. They are a real PITA.

I bought a keezer once that had the CO2 tank outside and the regulator inside. Not sure why it was built that way. But I remember the high pressure hose from the tank to the regulator was really stiff and a general pain to deal with. It wouldn't form a very tight radius at all. I was not easy to coil and put out of the way.

You're right, I saw a friend's setup with one of those, and it was a PITA to fit inside a fridge.

Back