Extended cold conditioning and clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

Reaction score
I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir here, but...

This is a brew I made last July. It was my first attempt at all-grain brewing and it was mediocre.

Was meant to be a pale ale (Edhaus Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale) but something went wrong and it came out more like a blonde ale, but tasted only so-so. I called it Ain't Half Bad Extra Pale Ale... Because it was only half good and super pale.

It was also cloudy, mostly with chill haze, which doesn't really matter, but it was.

I've got a couple bottles left, one of which has been in the fridge for a month or more because I had better beer to drink.

Decided to pop the top today after labelling the latest brew and was amazed what the extended conditioning did.

Crystal clear, as clear as any commercial brew. No special clarification techniques used other than whirlfloc in the boil.

And it tastes better than I remember too.

I've always read that time heals a lot of homebrew mediocre taste issues, and it has proven true.

It's still not a great beer but it's definitely drinkable. And it looks puuurty.

Anyhoo, just wanted to share my excitement at seeing the change in this brew, and for other new brewers out there who doubt the advice that time can result in some pretty significant changes, this is an example,of what can happen.

Attachments

• B95EBA22-90E6-496F-BEE9-811F67D07F97.jpeg
    B95EBA22-90E6-496F-BEE9-811F67D07F97.jpeg
    799.8 KB · Views: 102
I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir here, but...

This is a brew I made last July. It was my first attempt at all-grain brewing and it was mediocre.

Was meant to be a pale ale (Edhaus Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale) but something went wrong and it came out more like a blonde ale, but tasted only so-so. I called it Ain't Half Bad Extra Pale Ale... Because it was only half good and super pale.

It was also cloudy, mostly with chill haze, which doesn't really matter, but it was.

I've got a couple bottles left, one of which has been in the fridge for a month or more because I had better beer to drink.

Decided to pop the top today after labelling the latest brew and was amazed what the extended conditioning did.

Crystal clear, as clear as any commercial brew. No special clarification techniques used other than whirlfloc in the boil.

And it tastes better than I remember too.

I've always read that time heals a lot of homebrew mediocre taste issues, and it has proven true.

It's still not a great beer but it's definitely drinkable. And it looks puuurty.

Anyhoo, just wanted to share my excitement at seeing the change in this brew, and for other new brewers out there who doubt the advice that time can result in some pretty significant changes, this is an example,of what can happen.
Youre not alone. My first AG batch was a hefe for my wife, it was cloudy as hefes usually are but when i brewed it I had somehow put more sparge water than I should have and the alcohol content just didnt feel like it was there...supposed to had been a 5.15% it felt like a 4% ,and she didnt drink it because of that . Its been bottled and sitting in our basement where I suppose its been lagering since we moved here . Anyway , I decided last week to pull a bottle out and try one . It poured crystal clear and retained head better than it did at the 3 week post bottling mark. I just need to pour it slowly to keep the yeast in the bottle . It also feels like the alcohol rose a bit . Wife tried it again and says after one she had a buzz and the flavor greatly improved.

Back