Exract Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geltzeiler

Reaction score
So I'm new to extract brewing and I have read recipes described boiling with the entire extract for 60 minutes. I was talking to a few people, and they were suggested waiting until about 15 minutes to end boil before adding my extract to avoid crystallization of my sugars. I'm trying to improve a very hoppy yet dry IPA, so I was wondering if this was the case. Should I wait till later? Others mentioned adding a couple cups of extract up front and the rest at 15 min. Will any of this affect my hot break or does that not matter with extracts? Ant input is appreciated.

It helps with the hop utilization so it would increase how the alpha acids become incorporated in the beer. The lighter the gravity the more bitterness you will extract. What I do is put about half of the extract (if boiling less than 5-6 gals then topping up) up front and the rest at the end. You can end up with a lighter beer and more hop utilization (which could mean you could use less to bitter with but depends on the recipe). I would recommend using a brewing software or online recipe creation site to see how your hop bitterness will be affected by doing the late extract addition.

Back