Exploding fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggs401

Reaction score
I've been Brewing since 2010-2011, and in that time I've heard of friends and others claiming that their fermentations had been so vigorous that bucket tops and air locks have blown off.

In all the time I've brewed, doing various gravities and styles, I can't say I've ever had this problem. I even shake the crap out of my fermenter and it does the same thing every time.

I'm pretty anal about my fermentation temps and almost always get it in the proper range according to the yeast profile. Maybe I'm not adding enough yeast or letting it warm up enough at pitch?

Should I be worried that I haven't been doing things right?

I wouldn't worry as long as your beers are finishing and you get good attenuation. Don't fix it if it isn't broken....

The three main reasons for a fermentor blowing its top:

Fermentation temperature much too warm. Fusel alcohols and other off tastes.

Insufficient head space.

When using a yeast like WY 3068 combined with the lack of a massive amount of head space.

I normally only get about 1 1/2" of kraeusen, so I agree it's not something to worry about. But in my latest fermentation I got a little kraeusen in the airlock, with no difference in temperature or anything else. That's with 6" of headspace in the bucket. So don't be surprised if some day you get more kraeusen than you're used to.

I needed a blow off tube once, due to a fermentation that got too warm. I think that was in about 2007.

If you pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature and ensure sufficient headspace, a blow off tube could be needed if you have a very active fermentation. If you have a fermenter that blows the top off, something is wrong usually. It's either too warm or not enough headspace.

High OG beer + large active yeast pitch = blowoff, at least in my case. Even with proper temperatures. I probably fill my fermentors too full though.

Blowoff's are not a myth :)

img_9759-65167.jpg

High OG beer + large active yeast pitch = blowoff, at least in my case. Even with proper temperatures. I probably fill my fermentors too full though.

Blowoff's are not a myth :)

I think pitching active yeast is definitely a factor. If you're using a yeast like 3711 where 'too hot' doesn't exist, it can also happen, especially with big worts.

I think pitching active yeast is definitely a factor. If you're using a yeast like 3711 where 'too hot' doesn't exist, it can also happen, especially with big worts.

I made a barleywine a long time ago that blew in the first 2 hours. I actually heard the airlock slam the lid of my freezer. I had made another smaller beer (mild I think) to build up the yeast count, then pitched the 1.110 wort onto the cake. Baaam! I don't do that anymore.

Re: 3711, I only use that yeast on very specific beers. It finishes too low for most. Just made a belgian IPA with it.

I don't have it on hand any more. Since I've gotten better temp control I use the DuPont strain, but it was great before then. It will dry out anything if that's your goal, even mashed at 160 or using tones of specialty grains.

Latest posts

Back