explode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jononation

Reaction score
I'm on day 2 of fermenting and the lid on the bucket looks like it's about to explode. Is that normal? It's hissing a lot too.

thanks guys

jononation said:
I'm on day 2 of fermenting and the lid on the bucket looks like it's about to explode. Is that normal? It's hissing a lot too.

thanks guys

You have an airlock on your bucket? Is it clogged? Sounds like a recipe for an explosive mess to me!

Mako is on the right track. Airlocks can get overwhelmed and clog. I've had a bucket swell up and blow the lid off. It's not as bad as a carboy going bung shooting out.

A good thing to do during the early agressive stages of fermentation is to attach a blow off tube. blow%20off.jpg

I would 't wory.... I would even open the lid a little to let the gas out.... Remember to only do this in primary fermentation and ONLY if the fermentation prossess is in it's prime, we wouldn't want air entering the bucket and contaminating the wort/beer... You need to vent off gas but still need gas to produce to get that CO2 protection bubble in the head space of your beer...

jesseroberge said:
I would 't wory.... I would even open the lid a little to let the gas out.... Remember to only do this in primary fermentation and ONLY if the fermentation prossess is in it's prime, we wouldn't want air entering the bucket and contaminating the wort/beer... You need to vent off gas but still need gas to produce to get that CO2 protection bubble in the head space of your beer...

I'd definitely worry if the airlock is clogged - as it will reach ceiling height when it goes if it's not remedied and builds too much pressure. This thought that opening the bucket is going to risk oxidation or contamination on the second day of fermentation, likely at high kraussen given the description, is just not a real concern. Off gassing that much will replace any oxygen that makes its way into the fermenter and he could likely leave the lid off the fermenter at this stage and be fine given the right environmental conditions. (Not recommending that). If its a clogged airlock, pop the airlock out and rinse it out. If you have kraussen coming out the top (not likely) then I would replace with a blow off tube.

RDWHAHBUYFVIATEAOTC

(relax, don't worry, have a homebrew...unless your fermentation vessel is about to explode all over the ceiling.)

Back