Expired DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rammer

Reaction score
I just purchased some DME that is a few weeks past its best before date.... Should I be concerned with this? Planning on using it this weekend so wont sit much longer.

I've even used years old DME that hadn't stayed dry. Ever have that astronaut ice cream? You know, the freeze dried stuff? It looked like that.

Anyway, it was fine and the resulting beer was fine too.

I think they're required by law to put a "best by" date on it, but it's essentially meaningless. Toss it in. You'll be fine.

Taste a little. If it tastes off now, it will taste off when the beer is done. It should be sweet and malty with no added metal, or plastic flavor from the storage container.

and then use it ! :)

I used some one time to make a starter that has actually turned into a solid block, lol. Came out just fine.

I usually prefer Briess LME and treat DME like I would a bag of chips ... if the DME is near date and airtight, it's OK.
Briess LME comes capped and sealed with a production date/time on the containers. Stopped using DME because I found it harder to pour from a large, loose bag while stirring at the same time. The LME containers can be re-used as a lazy way to make a yeast starter larger than a half liter, too. Add water, nutrient, and your yeast and you're good to go.

Usually the only issue with DME is that if there is moisture in it, it will harden, but even then it's still usable. I've used DME that was years old, from out dated kits, and just that I've had lying around the house, and it's been fine.

Back