Experimental Honey Malt/Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made this experimental beer. Mainly cause I haven't been able to drive up to Armstrong and get any grains from Gambrinus.

I have a ton of wheat and honey malt, and was getting sick of drinking heffe's, so I made a 12.5 plato beer with:

27% Honey Malt
27% Munich 10
9% dark crystal
37% wheat.

75 IBU's
Bullion for bittering and 120g of FWH Saaz and a -10 min 30g addition of Saaz.

It was supposed to be a 15 plato beer but my efficiency was hooped due to my grinder acting out it's final death scene and even after crushing twice, the crush was not as it should be. Oh well. Time to hit up Chris at Hopdawgs for a new crusher!

I just added sucrose to boost the alc up to the 6.5% range. I have a feeling this beer will be interesting with that much honey malt, thus the high IBU's and higher alc content.

I would have went close to 50/50 honey to wheat but I wasn't sure if the wheat could convert that much honey malt as honey malt has very low diastatic properties. Even Munich 10 can barley convert itself, (needs a longer conversion time) or at least that is what Gambrinus told me. They don't test their malts for conversion.

So I was a tad surprised to find out that my iodine test showed conversion at 30 min into the mash. I left it another 30 for safety. Modern malts truly are powerhouses. (You shouldn't need more than 30 min with normal modern base malts and often conversion can be complete with as low as 15min).

I also did a 15 min protease rest at 50c (main rest at 65c) and a head builder at 72c for 15 minutes.

I used Mauribrew ale yeast for a clean lager like taste. Will get back and report when this is kegged.

That is going to be one HONEY ale! I did 20% in a saison and it completely overpowered the yeast profile for like 2 months. Sounds tasty though and I look forward to the results

I'm guessing honey malt has low DP due to the fact that most of the starches have already been converted during the stewing / kilning process used in its production. I believe it is basically a crystal malt. Interested to hear how sweet the beer comes out.

It' not a crystal malt at all. It is malted at as high a temp as possible without it going sour then kilned fairly high. The high kilning denatures a lot of the Amylase enzymes.

It absolutely requires conversion. Incidently, I've toured Gambrinus's operation and have discussed this malt with company head.

Matthias recommends to large operations to use no more than 25% in a beer for "safety" cause if it doesn't convert and you are in the middle of a 100+ hectoliter mash then it's very costly. Modern grains are way more diastatic than in the past and I'm pushing to see how much I can use. Next beer is going to be a 50/50 wheat/honey IPA Hybrid.

Latest posts

Back