Experiment with soured wort added to a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
I make several quarts at time of a 1.040 wort that I inoculate with lacto from raw grain. I let this go until the pH is down to around 3.4. I can it in pint jars to use as needed. Because the pH is low enough I can hot water can it. Because it is canned I can add it at anytime to a batch of beer (mash, pre-boil, post-boil, fermentation, packaging, etc.). I made a 10 gallon stout and split it into two five gallon batches. To each I pitched Nottingham yeast, used an identical aeration method, same fermentation temps. I finished both by conditioning them with identical amounts of priming sugar in kegs. Each were stored same time, same temperature, cold crashed together and placed side by side in the kegerator at the same time.

The only difference is one was left as is, while the other had a quart of this soured wort added after fermentation kicked off (At first signs of good Kraeusen). The difference in gravity is negligible at most.

Today I tasted them side by side. They are almost perfectly identical. The one with soured wort added had a different quality to the head. It was more dense and finer bubbles (both were dispensed with CO2 at the same pressure with the same length of hose). This one also had a less pronounced burnt quality from the dark grains. The one with the soured wort just seemed to be a nicer beer. The one without just seemed to be slightly off of ideal--even tasting it without the comparison last night, it seemed to just be missing something. I assume it is the slight higher acid altering and melding the flavor profile. Other than the reduced burnt quality there is really no noticeable difference to the flavor--I know there would be if I added more, but I wanted it slight this time. I doubt there was enough pH change to really impact the action of the yeast--though others may say otherwise. They also both dropped Kraeusen within a couple hours of each other.

Edit: They also had a final gravity so close I really couldn't measure it with my hydrometer.

I'll see if they change over time.

The 10 gallon batch was 82.5% MO, 7.5 % Black Patent, 7.5 % Roast Barley, and 2.5 % Flaked Wheat. Mashed at 148, batch sparged, boiled 90 minutes. Hops were all East Kent Goldings (1.5 oz at 60, 1.5 oz at 40 and 1.0 oz at 20) for 37 IBU's total. Yeast was Lallemand's Nottingham hydrated prior to pitch.

Cool experiment! If I'm not mistaken (and if I am, by all means, correct me!) this is the same method used to make Guinness.

Oh, I guess I just meant that they use a sour wort. Do they seriously use fish bladders? Gotta give props to the first guy to ever say, "Yeah, that's probably a good idea."

No haberdasher, fish bladders you speak of (Isinglass derived from swim bladders) is a fining agent to clarify the beer. I have read in several locations that Guinness adds some soured beer from a previous batch into the beer. I've also read that they have stopped doing this, but use another additive.

I know it's Isinglass, sorry, that was a weak attempt at humor.
Cool experiment, I'd love to see it at an extreme percentage next, and then find the middle ground
Brew on !

That's cool. You did get a bit of a bite of the "Fish Bladders" thing. I can imagine, "Why does the beer taste like fish whiz?" "I don't know. How do you know what fish whiz tastes like?"

That's cool. You did get a bit of a bite of the "Fish Bladders" thing.

Yes he did haha! And also, a bite? Very punny.

I don't use isinglass, and I had no idea what it was made of! You learn something every day (especially on this forum). :D I still maintain, sometimes I wonder who the heck came up with these ideas in the first place. :eek:

Isinglass can make wine or beer not kosher for Jews. It is made of the swim bladders of sturgeon, a fish considered unclean.

Isinglass can make wine or beer not kosher for Jews. It is made of the swim bladders of sturgeon, a fish considered unclean.

Very interesting! I don't happen to be Jewish, but I suppose that's important info for anyone who is.

I had never really looked into isinglass before, but I guess Irish moss is seaweed, so the sea must be a good source of brewing supplies! Maybe next time I go out for a swim, I'll see if there are any old kegs sitting on the bottom of the lake... :rockin:

Latest posts

Back