Expecting an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agbrewer03

Reaction score
So I was brewing last night was using the wort chiller. Right when it reached 80, the wort chiller sprung a leak at the hose connection and starting spraying tap water into my wort. I quickly shut it down.

I am expecting an infection because, well I live in Mexico and the tap water is, lets just say, less than desireable.

I went ahead and finsihed up and am hoping for the best.

Who wants to take odds I have an infection develop? Anything I can do?

I was thinking today, should I have just brought it all back to a boil and boil for 10 minutes to kill off anything? Would that had had an adverse affect on the beer (overboiling)?

I would imagine if you pitched enough yeast it would create a pretty tough environment for bugs to get a foothold, even with the water down there. I wonder how the big boys down there treat their water. I always heard to drink the beer, not the water…

Love to hear how it turns out, please post. Subscribed.

you may have lost some of the hop aroma, from reboiling but you could have compensated by adding another addition.

What was you estimated pitch rate. If you yeast starter health and pitch level are good the yeast my simply out compete the bacteria for resources and prevent the infection.

I was brewing the Auustin bee cascading dark ale extract kit. Used wheats greenbelt, and it was a very active expanded bag. Just got home and she is pumping out some co2! Maybe I dodged a bullet?

Unless you made the batch entirely out of tap water, I don't think you have much to worry about. You should pick up an ultraviolet water purifier for moment like this, it's still not enough to ease my mind down there but I'll take what I can get.

I'm not in Mexico but this happened to me a few years ago. Three weeks of worry was unnecessary, the beer ended up uninflected.

Steve da sleeve

I got giardia from Mexican water...

Since I've been down here I have had 3 visits to the Dr. For saline IVs after catching some lovely gift from Mexico, shagella, ecoli, standard mexibelly, you name. This place is filthy, can't wait to move back to the states.

Did not use tap water, used bottled water.

You have some things going for you. Many bacteria need oxygen and your beer is covered with carbon dioxide. Many bacteria like a neutral pH and your beer is acidic. Hops are a natural preservative and will help keep bacteria at bay.

Since I've been down here I have had 3 visits to the Dr. For saline IVs after catching some lovely gift from Mexico, shagella, ecoli, standard mexibelly, you name. This place is filthy, can't wait to move back to the states.

Did not use tap water, used bottled water.

1 for 1. Giardia was a b!tch to fight... Wreaked havoc on my gastrointestinal system

Back