Exotic wood diy tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't a knock on the other diy tap handle builds. I just couldn't find a thread that wasn't labeled cheap...so yeah, here are mine. And I know maple isn't that exotic, but hey they look good IMHO.

I just got done turning the three on the right. They're goncalvo (i was told it was a type of mahogany). The others are maple and cocobolo. I'll be turning a couple more once I figure out which woods I want to buy. I've been shopping here for blanks:
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com
They have a ton of cool stuff. They can get pretty pricy for some of the really nice stuff. There's plenty of blanks that are 1.5x1.5x12 which are probably for pepper grinders but work perfect for what I've been doing.

I've been using hanger bolts to attach the ferrules. They're machine screws on one side and wood thread on the other...very handy. Hope you guys like them.

1455758708238-906624729.jpg

1455758751400-140900378.jpg

Those look great! I carved a heart out of bloodwood and the nice tight grain looked really slick. I was very hard though and I think a chunk that size would be pretty spensive.

Check out Tulip wood, it's damn pretty and I've turned a lot of handles using it. The things you can do is join different types of wood together, some with inlay, and turn those as well. I also like the ferrules you're using vs the screw in pieces, which absolutely never set correctly.

Check out Tulip wood, it's damn pretty and I've turned a lot of handles using it. The things you can do is join different types of wood together, some with inlay, and turn those as well. I also like the ferrules you're using vs the screw in pieces, which absolutely never set correctly.

I will check out the tulip wood. Thanks for the compliments. I have laminated wood for the handles. The goncalvo was a 3/4" board that got cut down, planed, and glued up. I'll have to look into getting some contrasting woods and play with that.

Cocobolo, babinga, bloodwood, purpleheart and zebrawood are all great to turn. I usually go to the cut off bin for scraps to do wood turning with.

We don't have a place that sells or works on exotic woods in town anymore. We used to have an Austin's hardwood but that was good for rosewood, maybe. I wish I could find a cut off bin instead of ordering stuff!:mug:

Heh, you do aikido? I used to be an uchideshi in San Diego. I would brew and after class some students would hangout for beer. Then I got hurt, stopped practicing and continued to brew and got even better.

This isn't a knock on the other diy tap handle builds. I just couldn't find a thread that wasn't labeled cheap...so yeah, here are mine. And I know maple isn't that exotic, but hey they look good IMHO.

I just got done turning the three on the right. They're goncalvo (i was told it was a type of mahogany). The others are maple and cocobolo. I'll be turning a couple more once I figure out which woods I want to buy. I've been shopping here for blanks:
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com
They have a ton of cool stuff. They can get pretty pricy for some of the really nice stuff. There's plenty of blanks that are 1.5x1.5x12 which are probably for pepper grinders but work perfect for what I've been doing.

I've been using hanger bolts to attach the ferrules. They're machine screws on one side and wood thread on the other...very handy. Hope you guys like them.

Very nice! I used to make pistol grips out of knife scales from ebay seller Geraldine5588. They have some BEAUTIFUL burl, snakewood, ebony, bubinga, you name it. All their wood is stabilized. You might want to check them out as well.

Very nice! I used to make pistol grips out of knife scales from ebay seller Geraldine5588. They have some BEAUTIFUL burl, snakewood, ebony, bubinga, you name it. All their wood is stabilized. You might want to check them out as well.

Thanks for the tip and the compliment. I'll check them out.

Back