Excessive trub and racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
alright so, im brewing my first real beer, and im super excited. its a pumpkin ale and it calls for a secondary due to excessive trub. assuming the hydrometer levels off, should i rack at the one week mark like most people do? or could i leave it in the primary for longer if i chose to? i ask mainly because i have read a lot recently where people say leaving it in the primary longer can help with quality. but im worried that the trub may effect the flavor. im sure there are pros and cons, just not sure of what they are. tips? suggestions?

also, i didn't use any Irish moss etc cause i was planning on using gelatin in the secondary. dont know if that matters but thought i would mention it anyway.
cheers :mug:

The secondary is only for settling. Keep it in the primary for 3 weeks, then rack and let it clear for a week or two. That is what I do for a pumpkin stout I brew every year.

ooh, pumpkin stout! that ones going on my to do list. you have a link to the recipe? and thanks for the advice, ill give the 3 weeks a go.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/17946/brians-p3-stout

This was requested by my wife the first time I made it. It is always a big hit and fall gatherings and at Thanksgiving. All of that pumpkin in there causes the mash to run of VERY slow.

Not on the recipe is that I boild 1.5 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice in a cup of water just until it is fully mixed. I add that to my Carboy then rack the beer on top of it and let it sit for a few weeks.

so, just an update. i tried a bottle of the pumpkin ail at the two week mark(Post bottle) and it was way better then i thought it would be. it was super clear and a nice dark amber color. i may have put in t a little to much in the priming cause it was really fizzy but not by much. simply cause i knew what i was looking for i could taste a few off notes from the warmer fermentation it went through but im hoping they mellow out with time. no one else who tried it noticed anything so ill say this is a success. CHEERS guys, and thanks for all the help on my first batch.:mug:

so, just an update. i tried a bottle of the pumpkin ail at the two week mark(Post bottle) and it was way better then i thought it would be. it was super clear and a nice dark amber color. i may have put in t a little to much in the priming cause it was really fizzy but not by much. simply cause i knew what i was looking for i could taste a few off notes from the warmer fermentation it went through but im hoping they mellow out with time. no one else who tried it noticed anything so ill say this is a success. CHEERS guys, and thanks for all the help on my first batch.:mug:

Did you end up using gelatin too or just let it settle after racking?

wow sorry, i didn't see this sooner. i didnt use the gelatin after all, i just let it settle normally. i was happy in the end, came out as a nice and clear, beautiful amber with an orange hue. still have about 10 bottles left that im saving for Oct/Nov

Back