Excessive protein in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNemethy

Reaction score
Okay, so I brewed yesterday and about 20 min or so into boil I started noticing alot of colagulation on the top of my wort. I've brewed 3 batches prior to this and never had or seen this before. I scooped off most if it (approx 2 cups). Being suspicious, I looked at my grain bed after sparging and noticed slight evidence of the same type of stuff there (about 1/8") on top of the grain bed. I proceeded to finish and pitch my yeast (WLP002) uneventfully. I checked my carboy this mornong and found about a 1/2" thick of similar looking material on top of my wort. My airlock is showing plenty of evidence of fermentation. Is this normal for a high floculation yeast, secondly my wort seems unusually cloudy even though I did a good run off prior to going into my brew kettle. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks

nothing to worry about, by the time your beer is done those proteins will be packed tight to the bottom of the fermenter.

Back