Excessive Blow-Off and Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCNate

Reaction score
Question for you all:

As the weather has warmed up I have been having some problems with my primary fermentation. I will cool my wort down to 70 degrees, add water (to total a littmore then 5 gallons), give it a good airation and pitch my yeast. Recently, I have been garnering a ton of excess trub on the bottom (which I see as a good) and have been blowing out a ton of krausen off the top. However, when it is all said and done, I end up, between the two, losing nearly a gallon of liquid when siphoning into the secondary. This has been a problem when using White Labs and Wyeast liquid yeast. I talked to the guy at the LHBS and for this last batch, recommended Safale 56. The problem has persisted.

Any recommendations?

Is the wort heating up a lot at the beginning? I have a Brown in the fermenter that got up to 81F in the first 18 hours. Didn't have any blowoff, probably because I ferment in 7 gallon buckets. Try draping a wet towel over the fermenter for the first 48 hours. That should give you some cooling.

Try to stay in the 60s if you can during ferment. Most Ale yeasts produce alot of fruity esters at warmer temps. Saisons can brew close to 90F.

Back