Excellent hop pair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with zythos and moteuka hops several times. Every time it's came out delicious! I think it's an amazing pair. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love Motueka. I've never used it in conjunction with Zythos, though. Can you describe the result?

Grapefruit, lemony, piney. All the great attributes of a delicious IPA.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397713735.809922.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397713748.245141.jpg

You can't see the FIRST WORT HOP addition but it's .75 ounce of moteuka and zythos.

I can't wait to try zy/mot combo. My fav IPA combo has been Citra and Amarillo for the grapefruit aspect. How do you think they compare? MLHBS seems to hate new hops so I can't wait to go in and ask if he has any. He will always order what I need but then ask why I can't just use cluster. "It's all because of that new fangled cascade" he has been quoted to say. I once asked him how simcoe differed from chinook and he said "They are both cascade with a higher price tag... and I hate cascade". This coming from a guy who makes his living from selling this stuff. I feel like Barney Fife asking Andy Taylor to put radios in the squad cars.

I notice that your grain bill includes 4 oz of crystal and 4 oz of caravienna malt. Do you feel this contributes to the flavor, considering it is less than 4% of the grain? I ask because I have made identical recipes varying the crystal malt by 8 oz and have not been able to tell the difference what so ever. I have only noticed differences when it affected the pH of the mash (I have really high pH water so if I don't use crystal, aciduated, or roasted grains I pull tannins...yuk)

I guess I should hunt some Zythos down and give this a go, still have some moteuka lying around.

I've only made one ipa, but I've done it twice. It was also the first beer I made and honestly thought, "I'd buy this over almost anything I find at the store." It has the fruity combo of citra and galaxy. I already have Motueka, so I could try it with zythos next time if I can find it.

I can't wait to try zy/mot combo. My fav IPA combo has been Citra and Amarillo for the grapefruit aspect. How do you think they compare? MLHBS seems to hate new hops so I can't wait to go in and ask if he has any. He will always order what I need but then ask why I can't just use cluster. "It's all because of that new fangled cascade" he has been quoted to say. I once asked him how simcoe differed from chinook and he said "They are both cascade with a higher price tag... and I hate cascade". This coming from a guy who makes his living from selling this stuff. I feel like Barney Fife asking Andy Taylor to put radios in the squad cars.

I'm not sure how the citra and Amarillo compare. I just bought some a month ago. When I can brew again I'm gonna try that combo! I get most of my hops from nikobrew.com

I notice that your grain bill includes 4 oz of crystal and 4 oz of caravienna malt. Do you feel this contributes to the flavor, considering it is less than 4% of the grain? I ask because I have made identical recipes varying the crystal malt by 8 oz and have not been able to tell the difference what so ever. I have only noticed differences when it affected the pH of the mash (I have really high pH water so if I don't use crystal, aciduated, or roasted grains I pull tannins...yuk)

In a way it contributes to flavor. It helps the hops really stand out. I originally made this recipe because it was what I had left in my arsenal of ingredients. Turned out amazing. I have high PH too. So I guess it good I used it.

Anyone try to brew with this pair of hops yet? I want someone else to experience the greatness of flavor on my taste buds.

Back