Examining possible solutions to issue of sulfur smell from Perlick 650ss faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would normally be inclined to not believe the stainless parts are the issue, but if your acid soaks produce sulfur, then sure enough they are.

Not if he's using a nitrile-gloved hand that comes into contact with the acid solution. See my explanation below.

My experience with star san and nitrile rubber matches the sulfur (rotten egg) aroma you've been experiencing.

Place 1 nitrile rubber glove in a glass jar (like the blue one you're wearing in the photo) and spray some star san on it. Wait like 5 seconds and take a whiff (you'll smell it very well). Now seal, wait 5 minutes and take a whiff (it might knock you out :D).

The most common o-ring material is Buna-N (the 'N' standing for nitrile), and I'm assuming that's what's used in perlicks. Those flow control seem to have a lot of o-rings/nitrile in them. Couple those o-rings with star san (or perhaps just very low pH solution), and you get rotten eggs.

In addition, it's possible that you've been unknowingly contaminating your experiments by wearing the gloves to do your work. Next time try using metal tongs or forceps instead - just to see.

A possible solution to the perlick tap issue: How about buying some silicone replacement o-rings and see if you still get the rotten egg smell. A test at least.

I've tested four different colors and brands of nitrile gloves. They all produce the same sulfuric, rotten-egg aroma.

My experience with star san and nitrile rubber matches the sulfur (rotten egg) aroma you've been experiencing.

Place 1 nitrile rubber glove in a glass jar (like the blue one you're wearing in the photo) and spray some star san on it. Wait like 5 seconds and take a whiff (you'll smell it very well). Now seal, wait 5 minutes and take a whiff (it might knock you out :D).

The most common o-ring material is Buna-N (the 'N' standing for nitrile), and I'm assuming that's what's used in perlicks. Those flow control seem to have a lot of o-rings/nitrile in them. Couple those o-rings with star san (or perhaps just very low pH solution), and you get rotten eggs.

In addition, it's possible that you've been unknowingly contaminating your experiments by wearing the gloves to do your work. Next time try using metal tongs or forceps instead - just to see.

A possible solution to the perlick tap issue: How about buying some silicone replacement o-rings and see if you still get the rotten egg smell. A test at least.

Never having used Star San before (nor dipped my gloved hands in phosphoric acid), I did not know about that issue with nitrile. Ironically, I donned the gloves because I was originally using bare hands, and my hands were starting to stink so bad from sulfur I needed a barrier between my nose and hands. Additional irony: I did not use stainless tongs for fear of contaminating my experiment with an unknown grade of tongs.

Quick web search turned up this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175177

Speculation there that the smell either comes from the reaction between phosphoric and excess sulfur-containing crosslinker in the nitrile, or from something going on with the sulfur in the dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid in the Star San.

Luckily I can separate and test: 1% phosphoric acid in distilled, vs 1% Micro 90 in distilled, vs 2% of my Star San analog in distilled (Pic09). And if any of you guys know that Saran Wrap has sulfur in it, keep it to yourselves.

After a 10 minute soak, sure enough the smell of sulfur from the phosphoric acid and from the Star San analog, but not from the Micro 90 alone. So it seems that the acid is messing with something in the glove, I suppose excess cross linker (I guess I'll look that up later).

Being curious, I then did 1% citric acid in distilled, and after 10 minutes, yes, sulfur.

I suppose if I was writing a paper for publication, I'd have to start over. And any further testing will be nitrile-glove-free.

But I can tell you, the strength of the sulfur smell coming off these glove soaks is like a breath of sweet, fresh air compared to what's been emanating from these beakers containing the suspect parts and the concentrated Star San analog. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that these faucet parts are the source of the sulfur in my beer.

------

Interesting thought about the buna-n O-rings, though. I guess for now I'm gonna have to hope that however much "excess" cross-linker they put into those is eliminated by the standard dilution Star San analog dip. Or that O-rings are made with a different cross-linker. Or that O-rings don't use excess sulfur. I mean hey, all those Perlick forward-seal faucets use the same seals for the various parts of the handle lever ball, and presumably they're buna-n, and again we're not seeing any complaints about 630ss.

Guess I've really got to put some research into this cross-linker in nitrile thing now.

650ssPic09.jpg

Update on Treatment Test 1, soaking all parts in dilute Star San analog and the three suspect parts (handle lever, compensator, flow control "barrel") in concentrated (1:1) Star San analog, on the first of three 650ss faucets (lot code A0915G):

Re-installed in keezer Friday evening 3/11/16, hooked up to an American Pale Ale using a new length of EJ Barrier tubing after the tubing/QD assembly had sanitizer pushed through it from a pressurized keg.

Let sit overnight with flow control at about the "halfway" position. Next morning (Sat), first draw (about two ounces or so) had a faint smell of sulfur, immediately subsequent pour does not. Next morning (Sun), same story.

This smell is GREATLY diminished from what it was originally, but it is not gone. I will check again Mon morning before work (for science!).

My theory is that I got some portion of the residual sulfur off, but not all of it. I think next step is to take the three suspect parts and subject them to another concentrated Star San soak (or two, or three) to see if I can get it all.

Call Perlick and tell them to make it right. It's a known, documented problem.

Your experiments are cool but at some point they need to be accountable for inferior quality.

I did call inquiring about the problem (post 12). I got a fistful of denial. If I don't find a fix I will either demand a fix from Perlick or return them.

Accountability will, at minimum, be expressed in whether or not I decide to buy Perlick products in future. That and getting the word out about my experience is about all I can really expect to do as a consumer.

I am surprised how few individuals have posted in this thread. Either there aren't as many people experiencing this issue as I believed, or most folks have already given up on these faucets.

You beat me to this topic by just a couple days. I actually had it all written up and have been waiting to make sure the sulfur smell didn't come back before posting. I only came across this thread when I was making some edits in preparation for posting and trying to find a reference from another thread. I don't want to re-edit what I've already done so here it is, there is some duplicate information from earlier in this thread :

Recently a friend of mine purchased some brand new Perlick 650SS flow control taps. Unfortunately, it seems that some 650SS taps are prone to causing a sulfur odour when used with low pH beer or cider. Numerous complaints can be found on this forum and others, AIH even posts a warning on their 650SS page. In our experience, the sulfur odour happens after the beverage has been sitting in the line for at least an hour; after a pour or two it will go away until it is left stagnant for a while. After some research and experimentation, I'm confident that we've determined the source of the sulfur smell and how to fix it. There is a chance that the theories presented below are not entirely correct, but the procedure did fix the sulfur issue for us.

Source of the sulfur
The 650SS is very similar to the design of the 630SS, with the addition of flow control. However, these flow control parts are (probably) fabricated from 303 stainless instead of 304 stainless. 303 was likely chosen since it is easier to machine – a useful property for small, intricate flow control parts. Why is it easier to machine? Because of sulfur additions in the steel (also phosphorus, but that isn't important here), which allow the tool to slide more easily over the surface and promote clean shearing of the steel. The sulfur/rotten egg smell comes from residual elemental sulfur that remains on/in the surface. The sulfur should have been cleaned off before the steel was passivated. Passivation is a process which builds up a protective oxide layer on top of the just-cleaned stainless.

303 and other 'free-machining' stainless steels need a slightly different procedure from the standard passivation in order to remove residual surface sulfur – essentially just a pre- and post-soak in alkaline solution, preferably sodium hydroxide. ASTM A967 mentions this the in appendix (paragraph X1.3.3), but does not specify a procedure. Basically, the acid used for passivating the stainless dissolves the MnS inclusions, leaving behind elemental sulfur in the resulting pits which is not removed by typical post-passivation cleaning. Check out this paper which provides a more thorough discussion of what is happening.

Why does Perlick let this happen?
Since this problem does not occur consistently with all 650SS taps, I have a couple guesses as to the cause:

1. Perlick has multiple vendors/factories doing their cleaning/passivation, some who know how to treat 303SS and some who do not.
  2. Their passivation treatment method is borderline ok, taking away most of the residual sulfur, but certain batches of 303 have higher sulfur content resulting in leftover sulfur on the final product .
These are simply my guesses and I do not have any concrete knowledge of Perlick's actual operating practices or materials used, just my own experiments which have a very small sample size. I emailed Perlick with the information in this post, but have not received a response from them. I will update this post if I do.

Experimentation
Since we had two 650SS taps, we wanted to test whether the NaOH soak was sufficient to correct the problem, or if a full cleaning and passivation treatment was required. One of the taps only underwent a NaOH soak (5 wt% @ 70°C for 30min). For the other tap we performed the NaOH soak, followed by passivation in citric acid (as per ASTM A967 Citric I, 10 wt% citric acid @ 60-70°C for 1 hr), followed by another NaOH soak same as before. Citric acid was used since most homebrewers would not (and probably should not…) have access to the nitric acid and sodium dichromate bath traditionally specified by ASTM A967.

We've been using the taps on a cider (pH unknown – it’s all gone now) and berliner weisse (pH 3.3) for the past month or so and have not had the sulfur smell return on either tap. There may have been a couple times where the taps were not used for several days and they was a hint of sulfur, but I'm unsure whether this was just me being paranoid. It was subtle enough that I doubt I would have noticed it if I wasn't actively looking for it. Therefore, I believe a single alkaline soak treatment is enough to solve the problem.

How to remove the sulfur
The following procedure details the process to desulfurize your Perlick 650SS flow control taps. You should only need to do this once and the sulfur will be permanently removed from your taps.

CAUTION: Sodium hydroxide, and to a lesser extent, citric acid, are hazardous chemicals which should be treated with greater care than your standard brewery chemicals such as PBW or starsan. This website provides a reasonable overview of the hazards. Always read the MSDS and take appropriate safety precautions before using highly caustic or acidic chemicals.

Follow this procedure at your own risk, I am not responsible for your safety.

You may be able to find both sodium hydroxide and citric acid at your local homebrew store. However, I found it was 1/10 the price at a local DIY soapmaking store, and I could buy it dry instead of a premixed liquid form. Hardware stores may also stock it.

1. Completely disassemble the Perlick 650SS tap. Don’t worry about removing the o-rings; they are Buna-N/Nitrile, which is compatible with all of the chemicals being used.
  2. Separate the 303SS parts that need to be cleaned, rinse them in hot water, and set aside. The 303SS parts are handle lever (item 5A), flow compensator (item 9) and/or the flow control lever shaft (item 11) in the diagram on page 2 of this link. I’m not entirely sure if all these parts are 303 but this procedure isn’t going to damage anything if they aren't. You could probably throw the whole tap in the bath, but I was worried about etching the polished finish on the outside of the tap. After further research this probably isn’t a concern, but proceed at your own risk.
  3. Prepare a 5 wt% NaOH (sodium hydroxide) solution in a stainless steel or borosilicate glass container large enough to fully submerge the parts. My starter flask worked well for this. This can be done by mixing 5g of dry NaOH per 100 mL of water. ALWAYS add the NaOH slowly to cold water, not the other way around! Dissolving NaOH is an exothermic reaction (gives off heat) and may spatter if water is added to the NaOH. Distilled water is preferred, especially if your tap water contains a lot of minerals.
  4. Heat the solution to 70°C. Make sure you have adequate ventilation in the area.
  5. Place the parts in the hot NaOH solution and soak for 30 minutes, maintaining temperature.
  6. Rinse parts thoroughly in water.
  7. Rinse parts in isopropyl alcohol. I'm unsure whether this step is necessary, but Shen mentions it in their paper as reducing the surface residue so I don't think it hurts.
  8. Rinse parts thoroughly in water and allow to dry.
  9. Smell or taste the parts. If you can still detect sulfur, something may have gone wrong. You can try installing the taps and using them, or try the full alkaline-acid-alkaline passivation treatment with citric acid. To perform full alkaline-acid-alkaline passivation treatment, proceed the same as above, completing step 6. Then prepare a 10 wt% citric acid solution in the same manner as the NaOH solution, using a ratio of 10g/100mL. Heat up the citric acid solution to ~60-70°F and soak for 1 hour. After the citric acid soak, rinse the parts in water, and continue again at step 3, repeating the NaOH wash (steps 3-9).
Let me know if you have any questions!

References:
ASTM A967 - Standard Specification for the Chemical Passivation of Stainless Steels
The Cleaning of 303 Stainless Steels (T.H. Shen, 2004))
Carpenter Technology - Passivating and Electropolishing Stainless Steel Parts

Onto this thread:
Based on my write-up above, I think you should try the NaOH soak again, possibly for longer. Also, it sounds like you just soaked the levers last time? You should soak all three parts you show in pic08

I hadn't come across the information stpug raised regarding the reaction of buna-N/nitrile with starsan. I wouldn't worry about it unless nitrile gives off sulfur in all acidic solutions (more specifically beer/cider/wine/etc.). However, I don't have much background with polymers so I could be missing something. To back up your point that the acidic starsan is releasing sulfur from the stainless parts, I did notice a strong sulfur smell when performing the citric acid soak and I was not using nitrile gloves (though I probably should have used some for safety).

^^^ Hell of a nice first post! Very good to know you fixed yours, I knew there had to be a way.

Now of course I want to know, what are the lot codes on your friend's faucets?

I have not yet done NaOH soak, the soak I did of the three suspect parts was in a concentrated Star San analog (phosphoric acid).

I have two more 650ss faucets to treat. Full-on passivation just as described in the paper we've both linked is one of the treatments I'm planning to try, and now you've given me a third (and fairly simple) option to try, just soaking the three suspect parts in hot NaOH.

Ha, thanks, I rarely post on forums.

Both of his faucets are lot code A0815G.

SO, I did an experiment. I pulled the levers from my three 650ss faucets. And they did smell strongly like rotten eggs. I took a cue from that gov’t paper where they suggest that improperly passivated 303 stainless can be remedied by soaking the parts in 5% NaOH at 70°C for 30 minutes, followed by a detergent wash, a water rinse, and a wipe with isopropyl alcohol. I did that procedure in the lab, reinstalled the levers and…

You didn't do an NaOH soak? Your above statement in the OP seems to disagree with that...

Ha, thanks, I rarely post on forums.

Both of his faucets are lot code A0815G.

You didn't do an NaOH soak? Your above statement in the OP seems to disagree with that...

So correct, I totally forgot that I did that. Guess I'll do it again.

EDIT: correct again, I did the NaOH soak on only the handle levers, not the other two parts.

Great info! Thanks for all the hard work that went into gathering this info.

Are you saying if an alkaline-acid-alkaline passivization treatment was needed we'd have gone through Step 6, smelled or tasted sulfur,
so we do a 1 hour soak in 60-70°C 10 wt% citric acid after step 6, then

"after the citric acid soak, rinse the parts in water, and continue again at step 3"

So we go back and do another 5 wt% NaOH soak (complete the original list steps 3 - 9 again)?

I'd rather Perlick replace my faucets but I'm getting limited use out of them now so if I have to I'll try the DIY method. Kinda hoping Perlicks company moto "Quality & Innovation that Inspires" is something they live by, not marketing BS. We shall see :)

I swapped a beer from my 630ss to my 650ss because it was extra foamy and all of a sudden I get nothing but sulfur smell (rotten egg) out of the tap. pH 4.43 @ 40°F (my kegerator temp) on a 3.7% ABV ordinary bitter. I didn't have any smell problems on the 630ss and googling it brought up this thread. I'll post my lot codes tonight. The faucets are all brand new bought from MoreBeer right after Christmas the 650ss has had and APA (pH 4.80) and a vienna (4.59 pH) poured though it with no previous issues. Looks like somewhere between pH 4.59 (no sulfur) and 4.43 (eggs galore) my faucet is having trouble. I don't think 4.43 is very acidic though for beer is it? Casual googling came up with a few references of 3.8-4.5 for "normal" beer pH (guess that's at room temp?).

I do not have a sulfur problem, both my faucets are A0215G, been in service since November '15, sometimes the beer sits for 3 weeks and no issues (I had bronchitis). I did clean with PBW and then run Acid Blend #6 in a 2oz/Gallon ratio when I installed them.

On to Treatment Test 2: Soaking only the suspect parts in hot NaOH.

Made a 5% solution of NaOH in distilled water (Pic10), came out to pH 13.30. Only the three suspect parts (handle lever, compensator, flow control shaft; Pic11) went into that, the rest of the parts got a soak in dilute Star San analog.

(I did remove the o-ring seals from the flow control shaft because I wanted to make sure all surfaces of that shaft were exposed to the NaOH solution, and because nitrile rates as only “fair” compatibility with concentrated NaOH according to the rubber chemical compatibility charts)

Suspect parts soaked in 5% NaOH for 30 minutes at ~70°C (Pic12)—using stainless steel tongs this time, no gloves!

No sulfury odor came off of this solution. Perhaps this is because sulfur reacts with hot concentrated M+ hydroxide solution to form M+ sulfide and M+ thiosulfate salts:
http://www.webelements.com/sulfur/chemistry.html

Which are highly soluble:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_sulfide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

(And it takes an acidic reaction with the sulfide salt to produce the H2S hydrogen sulfide gas that has that “rotten egg” smell)

Then parts were rinsed in distilled water, then rinsed in 70% isopropyl alcohol. (As sctcts has said, unsure if the alcohol is necessary, but I’ve got it, and it’s basically just concentrated rubbing alcohol), then laid out to air dry. I can't smell any obvious sulfur now on these parts.

Note: as I removed the rest of the parts from the Star San analog soak, the flow control handle (Pic13) definitely had a sulfur smell coming off of it. But that part doesn't touch beer.

Will reassemble this faucet, put back into service, and report.

650ssPic10.jpg

650ssPic11.jpg

650ssPic12.jpg

650ssPic13.jpg

Addendum (again, forum not allowing me to edit)

As these parts were air-drying, I can swear I smelled sulfur on my SS shank, too. Well, it could be made from improperly-passivated 303ss also. So I repeated the Treatment 2 process on this shank (minus the lock ring, collar and coupler) and on the flow control handle (because what the hell, it's already disassembled and it's just sitting there).

Now, since somebody had to do it, on my third 650ss faucet I ran Treatment Test 3: full alkaline / acid / alkaline passivation.

(This is the “if this doesn’t work, I may be all out of ideas” option)

Soaked all stainless parts (including shank and tailpiece for completeness) in 5% NaOH for 30 minutes at ~70°C (Pic14). Rinsed in distilled water, then soaked in 10% citric acid for 30minutes at ~65°C (Pic15).

(Note that I got a lot of sulfur odor off of the citric acid soak. This does not bode well for previous Treatment 2, as maybe that single NaOH soak alone is not enough to get all the sulfur?)

Rinsed again in distilled water, followed by another 30 minutes soak in fresh 5% NaOH at ~70°C. Then rinsed in distilled water, then rinsed in 70% isopropyl alcohol, then laid out to air dry.

All the non-stainless, chrome-plated brass parts (faucet bonnets and bearing cup, shank's coupler and collar, etc.) and the seals got a soak in dilute Star San analog, then laid out to dry.

There does not appear to be any discoloration or damage to the shiny exterior of the faucet (Pic16).

Will also put this faucet back into service and report.

650ssPic14.jpg

650ssPic15.jpg

650ssPic16.jpg

Thanks for documenting your process agrazela, I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures as I go.

(I did remove the o-ring seals from the flow control shaft because I wanted to make sure all surfaces of that shaft were exposed to the NaOH solution, and because nitrile rates as only “fair” compatibility with concentrated NaOH according to the rubber chemical compatibility charts)
All the information I looked at shows Buna-N as fully compatible with NaOH, at least at concentrations of 20% and under.
http://www.coleparmer.ca/Chemical-Resistance
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?sm=none&sc=sodium%20hydroxide
http://www.quickcutgasket.com/pdf/Chemical-Resistance-Chart.pdf

You do make a good point about making sure the NaOH could get all surfaces of the shaft, but I figured that if the NaOH didn't reach a spot, the beer wasn't going to reach it either. And I didn't want to risk damaging the o-rings trying to get them off.

Soaked all stainless parts (including shank and tailpiece for completeness) in 5% NaOH for 30 minutes at ~70°C (Pic14). Rinsed in distilled water, then soaked in 10% citric acid for 30minutes at ~65°C (Pic15).
I used a 60 minute acid soak, but 30 minutes should be sufficient. The actual requirement for ASTM 967 Citric I is only a minimum of 4 min at a 60-70°C, 4-10% citric acid, so you're well above this.

There does not appear to be any discoloration or damage to the shiny exterior of the faucet (Pic16).
Nice to see confirmation that the outside of the faucet doesn't etch in the acid.

Your setup with the clamp looks much more scientific than mine did haha. For those who do not have a stand like agrazela used, a vegetable steamer works well to keep your vessel suspended off the bottom and away from the direct heat. It's a good idea to heat the NaOH or citric acid in a water bath like agrazela did to maintain a more stable temperature.

Thanks for all the research and write-up. I tried the NaOH soak on my smelly 650 last night. I could never really smell it on the metal but the few beers I put through it all had the sulfur stink on the first few oz of the day.

I forgot to read the production code, but I can check that tonight when I test for smells. It was purchased last summer.

Where does one find the lot number? I have a couple SS Perlick faucets at home, but don't really recall the model number.

On the 650ss (and probably on others), it is on the bottom of the "main barrel" of the faucet body, right underneath the patent number info.

The one in this pic, for example, reads "A0815G"

650ssLotCode.jpg

Just to keep the post count going, here's my tally thus far of those who've reported with 650ss lot codes and smell or no smell:

A0115G: 1 no smell
A0215G: 2 no smell, 1 smell
A0415G: 3 no smell
A0515G: 8 no smell, 1 smell
A0815G: 3 smell
A0915G: 2 smell

Perlick replied to the email I sent them detailing my experiments. It's my understanding from Perlick that certain components of the 650SS faucet are made from 303 stainless, and therefore not recommended for use with low pH beverages.

I asked them to specify which components on the 650SS are made of 303, but they seem reluctant to go into details so I doubt I'll get any more information. Still, it's nice to have confirmation that it does contain 303 stainless. Based on our experimentation so far, I'd say it's safe to assume that the flow control components unique to the 650SS are made of 303, and possibly the lever handle as well.

Just to keep the post count going, here's my tally thus far of those who've reported with 650ss lot codes and smell or no smell:

A0115G: 1 no smell
A0215G: 2 no smell, 1 smell

I had posted 1 of each on these. Not sure if I wasnt recorded or A0115G no smell was a mistake but I had sulfur smell from both my A0115G and my A0215G.

I had posted 1 of each on these. Not sure if I wasnt recorded or A0115G no smell was a mistake but I had sulfur smell from both my A0115G and my A0215G.

Went through the tally again, it is correct for all who have thus far reported both a lot code and a smell/no smell verdict.

Interesting that there does not appear to be any clear, singular "cut-off" date between smell / no-smell. Maybe these have been produced in separate factories all along. Maybe it's a shift-to-shift thing. Maybe some folks' beer is higher pH than others'. Maybe some folks are more sensitive to it than others?

=================

Update on Treatment Test 2, soaking three suspect parts (and shank) in 5% NaOH at 70°C for 30minutes, on the second of three 650ss faucets (also lot code A0915G):

Re-installed in keezer Monday evening 3/14/16, hooked up to an American IPA on an EJ Barrier tubing/QD assembly that had sanitizer pushed through it from a pressurized keg.

Let sit overnight with flow control at about the "halfway" position. Next morning (Tues), first draw (about two ounces or so) had a faint smell of sulfur, immediately subsequent pour does not. Next morning (Wed), same story.

Brought a sample to the lab, and IPA pH measured 4.45 (pic17), not particularly low.

Again, this smell is GREATLY diminished from what it was originally, but it is STILL not gone.

Changed the IPA over to my third faucet (with the full-on alkaline-acid-alkaline re-passivation) and will report over the next few days.

(Sadly, all my other pale ale kegs are kicked...partly because the wife is REALLY digging the keeezer :) , but partly due to having to toss so much sulfur beer :( )

Edit: my wife likes to drink beer the way her Pittsburgh grandma did, sipping 2oz shots from a little juice glass. But by your eighth one, you've had a pint, you know!

650ssPic17.jpg

Interesting that there does not appear to be any clear, singular "cut-off" date between smell / no-smell. Maybe these have been produced in separate factories all along. Maybe it's a shift-to-shift thing. Maybe some folks' beer is higher pH than others'. Maybe some folks are more sensitive to it than others?

The lot codes printed on the outside of the faucet are probably just for tracking the final assembled product. We would need the batch/production run codes for each of the different components (compensator, control shaft, lever, etc.) if my guesses on the causes (different factories/shifts or variations in steel composition) are correct, since there are likely multiple production runs of the components in each lot of final assemblies. We can’t track the batch-to-batch or shift-to-shift changes without these.

I would bet that a lot of it comes down to certain people being more sensitive to this than others, or that they only drink/brew beers within the more ‘normal’ pH range for beer. Or that some people are just blaming the sulfur on their homebrew technique instead of the taps. It’s not uncommon to have sulfury off-flavours in cider, which is one of the more typical low pH beverages. Initially I would’ve assumed it was just a bad batch if we hadn’t switched the tap halfway through a keg and had it turn from a delicious cider to a sulfury mess.

Update on my NaOH soak. It reduced the sulfur smell to the point where I no longer need to ditch the 1st couple oz, but I still get a faint whiff. I might try again after I kick this keg.

:mug:

Update on Treatment Test 3, full-on alkaline-citric acid-alkaline re-passivation of all the stainless steel parts and shank and tailpiece (see post #58):

Re-installed in keezer Monday evening 3/14/16, hooked up to an American IPA on an EJ Barrier tubing/QD assembly that had sanitizer pushed through it from a pressurized keg morning of Wed 3/16.

Let sit all day with flow control at about the "halfway" position. That evening: no perceptible sulfur smell, either on the first small draw (about two ounces or so), or on subsequent full pint draws. Next morning (Thu), same story on initial 2oz draw, no perceptible sulfur.

I will check again tonight, and if still no sulfur, looks like I'll be fully re-passivating my first two faucets also.

Update on my NaOH soak. It reduced the sulfur smell to the point where I no longer need to ditch the 1st couple oz, but I still get a faint whiff. I might try again after I kick this keg.

:mug:

Were you able to find your lot code?

I have the issue on my two faucets - A1114G

Hmm, does seem to be more prevalent the newer the faucet (again, assuming this is a MMYY date code, which I'm quite certain it is).

Hoping to get a few more responses, then will re-tally.

Edit: oops my bad, you said 1114, not the 1115 my brain saw.

So Treatment Test 3 (full on A-A-A re-passivation) passed the no-sulfur test last night, and again this morning (Fri 3/18). So I brought my first two faucets back into the lab and subjected them to the passivation routine, but with a few twists...

(Quoted myself from post #58 to re-show the process; check that post for the pictures if you want):

...Soaked all stainless parts (including shank and tailpiece for completeness) in 5% NaOH for 30 minutes at ~70°C (Pic14). Rinsed in distilled water, then soaked in 10% citric acid for 30minutes at ~65°C (Pic15)...

Rinsed again in distilled water, followed by another 30 minutes soak in fresh 5% NaOH at ~70°C. Then rinsed in distilled water, then rinsed in 70% isopropyl alcohol, then laid out to air dry.

All the non-stainless, chrome-plated brass parts (faucet bonnets and bearing cup, shank's coupler and collar, etc.) and the seals got a soak in dilute Star San analog, then laid out to dry.

There does not appear to be any discoloration or damage to the shiny exterior of the faucet (Pic16)...

The twists are: Instead of using 10% citric acid this time, I used:
  • For the first faucet, 12.5% phosphoric acid (1:5 dilution of 75% phosphoric : distilled water)
  • For the second faucet, a 1:2 dilution of my Star San analog : distilled water (also comes out to 12.5% phosphoric acid)

I did this because phosphoric should work as well as citric (according to that gov't paper), and because I wanted to find an option that minimizes the number of chemicals anyone else who wants to try this would have to buy...as brewers, you may already have phosphoric acid (for adjusting mash pH), and you're quite likely to have Star San.

One caveat, do not subject the "handle" portion of the flow control to this treatment, it appears from the discoloration that it is made from chrome-plated brass (Pic18). It doesn't touch beer anyway.

Will test and report over the next few days.

650ssPic18.jpg

Update on modified Treatment Test 3.1 and 3.2 (full on A-A-A re-passivation, this time using sources of phosphoric acid instead of citric acid):

Test 3.1, 12.5% phosphoric acid (1:5 dilution of 75% phosphoric : distilled water): Failed with a faint whiff of sulfur the morning of Saturday and again the evening of Saturday

Test 3.2, a 1:2 dilution of my Star San analog : distilled water (also comes out to 12.5% phosphoric acid): Failed with a faint whiff of sulfur the morning of Sunday and again the evening of Sunday

Looks like I'm going to have to re-passivate these two faucets using citric.

So here's what I seem to have learned:
  • It would appear that the full-on Alkaline-Acid-Alkaline passivation is the trick, but that you have to use citric acid (the phosphoric acid is just not doing it).
  • It seems that the 650ss parts that really need it are the handle lever, the compensator, and the "barrel" or "shaft" of the flow control device (see Pic08 in post #39), although this process does not seem to harm the shiny main body of the faucet. You might want to do this to your shank (minus any non-SS parts) and tailpiece (if also SS), if you are not sure whether or not they're 303SS vs 304SS, and/or whether or not they were properly passivated, you won't hurt them.
  • I would strongly suggest making all your solutions using distilled water, contaminants like chlorides and such can cause spotting and streaking during passivation (from what I've been reading).

So it seems like I may have jumped the gun on declaring that phosphoric acid passivation does not work. I've left the faucet that was A-A-A passivated using Star San analog as the acid (what I've now called "Test 3.2") hooked up to the same IPA for a few more days now, and I am no longer getting any perceptible sulfur, even on the first draw of the day after overnight, or even after nearly 24hrs. For info, that faucet is a A0915G lot code.

Going to have to transfer that same beer over to the one passivated using straight-up phosphoric acid (which I'm now calling "Test 3.1") for a few days and see if the sulfur goes away for good on that faucet as well. BTW, that faucet is a A0815G lot code.

For the sake of the research, my 4 650SS's are all A0215G, and I have not had the sulphur problem described in this thread. Your efforts are appreciated.

Back