Evil effin' Caterpillars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guess spring is really is here, just got my first sting of the season by one of these bastards:
Hemileuca20maia20caterpillar.jpg

Only drawback of having all of the live oaks in my yard. Mean little bastards. Guess I'll be breaking out the pesticides this year. Damn. Now I am gonna drink. No work tomorrow! :mug:

Jesus! We've never had poisonous caterpillars here! That thing scares the bejesus out of me!

Wait that thing bit you? Wow.

When I was a kid we used to spend hours with a lighter and an aerosol can clearing caterpillars off our fruit trees. We had about ten assorted trees in our front yard and they got assaulted by them every year. They also make traps that work for certain varieties, or like you said, just spray the bastards....

usnsti said:
Wait that thing bit you? Wow.

When I was a kid we used to spend hours with a lighter and an aerosol can clearing caterpillars off our fruit trees. We had about ten assorted trees in our front yard and they got assaulted by them every year. They also make traps that work for certain varieties, or like you said, just spray the bastards....

The spines are hollow tubes that go to poison sacks, you just brush against it and it gets you. Burns for a while and leaves a big welt. God help you if one falls down your shirt collar! Lotta cussin' for a couple of hours.

When we get armyworms we did the same blowtorch routine- WD-40 and a long lighter. I am not even gonna start a one at a time flame war with these bastards- chemiccal warfare begins tomorrow a.m.

Only drawback of having all of the live oaks in my yard. Mean little bastards

If they are eating the leaves of the oaks let them- The oake tree needs to be eaten down to the nub and next year the leaves will grow back and be far too bitter for the worms to eat them.

Mate! Would you prefer these?

Spider_Dads_hand.JPG

These things are as common as flies around here... and no that isn't photoshopped, they really get that big. They are as fast as lightning too.

The crappy thing about the caterpillars is that they are everwhere. Can't walk barefoot in the yard to water my hops, kids cant play on the slide. Cant lean against my a tree and drinka a beer. Sucks when a bug messes up how you do things.

I wish I had a pic of the tarantula thingy my wife forced me to squish last year, it was bigger, but we don't see them that often. I wanted to move it, but SWMBO said if I didnt kill it, she would never come home again. Must have been a sight, I was trying to hit it with a motorcycle quick lift, but finally just stomped it as it was getting away. It was like stomping on a grapefruit.

She didn't like the foot long cetipede on the porch last year either...
PlayingWithFire.jpg

and no, I am not dumb enough to hold that thing, someone elses pic. Our last centipede was bigger.

In my whole life, I've only had one girly "Eek! A bug!" moment, and it was caterpillar inspired. I was camping, and when I woke up I saw what I thought was one of those spikey seed things (just woke up, dark, and no glasses) on my sleeping bag. I picked it up, and it started crawling on my hand. Yeah. It's pretty unsettling when something you think is an inanimate object turns out to be alive.

Larvae in general are just weird. They're all squishy and flammable. But other bugs are fine by me, except for flies. Those are just annoying.

Whoever is holding that centipede is insane. Unless I'm mistaken, the centipede has a scorpion in its front legs!:drunk:

quickerNu said:
The crappy thing about the caterpillars is that they are everwhere. Can't walk barefoot in the yard to water my hops, kids cant play on the slide. Cant lean against my a tree and drinka a beer. Sucks when a bug messes up how you do things.

I wish I had a pic of the tarantula thingy my wife forced me to squish last year, it was bigger, but we don't see them that often. I wanted to move it, but SWMBO said if I didnt kill it, she would never come home again. Must have been a sight, I was trying to hit it with a motorcycle quick lift, but finally just stomped it as it was getting away. It was like stomping on a grapefruit.

She didn't like the foot long cetipede on the porch last year either...
PlayingWithFire.jpg

and no, I am not dumb enough to hold that thing, someone elses pic. Our last centipede was bigger.

Mainly, I've got yellow jackets and these buggers:

03cpo06a2f2.jpg

Nothing like four inches of squiggle falling out of the cup when you're trying to feed the greyhounds first thing in the morning. Faster rush than a double espresso!

And who's idea were these things?

redwoods_banana_slugs.jpg

PeteOz77 said:
Mate! Would you prefer these?

Spider_Dads_hand.JPG

These things are as common as flies around here... and no that isn't photoshopped, they really get that big. They are as fast as lightning too.

I would really prefer those, at least spiders are cool! At first I didn't think that was a huntsman, but then I saw you were in Australia, a quick little internet search and there she was. Great picture, hope you let her go :)

Big, ugly, freaky bugs are what keeps me in the Northern States. You do see the occasional ugly ass spider here, but nothing bigger than maybe a half-dollar or so. We had nasty centipedes in Hawaii, but nothing big enough to whoop a scorpion's butt.

Yep, if I lived down in the Southern US or Australia, you'd mistake me for a girl, cause I'd scream like a little bitxh if something like that came near me.

You know I love my baby, ...(love my baby)
Love the way she hugs. ...(way she hugs)
But people don't understand it, ...(don't understand it)
She's a banana slug ...(banana slug)

Chorus:
Ba na na slug
Banana slug - Ba-na-na-na-na-na-na
Banana slug

She just got one foot,
She ain't got no toes.
She hangs out in the forest,
To help it decompose.
!

I killed four of these this past weekend. All four were on one piece of firewood!

spiderfriend002.jpg

They are freakin' EVERYWHERE right now.

Since I have two little kids those are the only spiders that I kill. If I was single I would most likely let them be. See the trick is you have to kill them when they are still white. If they are white they haven't mated yet.

0014195.jpg

Give em' a while and they'll look like this, BEAUTIFUL and harmless. I believe what you've got there is an eastern buck moth (Hemileuca maia). I know the sting is irritating, but I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't plead with you to NOT spray for those!!!

It is tragic enough that you would be killing that awesome creature, but the so-called "natural agents" used to eliminate such "pests" are non-specific and kill ALL your friendly neighborhood caterpillars, as well as many other nifty critters. Believe me, moths and butterflies are a tremendously diverse group, and application of pesticides that kill caterpillars will undoubtedly have a negative effect on some rare or endangered species that has, unbeknown to you, doing its thing in your neighborhood for ages.

EDIT: I was just thumbing through some books thinking about your caterpillars. They may be the TEXAS buck moth (Hemileuca peigleri). Seein' that most texans I know are mighty patriotic, I hope you can spare them if only for their namesake. Click here to learn more http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3319

So to all you arthrophobes, SAC-UP:rockin: and enjoy the thrill of knowing that you still live in something of a wild place were creatures that may hurt you still exsist. It'll keep you grounded.

Okay, got my tree huggin out of the way. Now, my vote for creepiest critter of my nape of the woods (northern MI). This little guy (Lethocerus) occurs all over North America and can, I've heard, inflict a nasty bite. However, in several attempts I have failed to induce a bite despite prodding, poking and generally irritating the poor buggers.

22292987.jpg

giant_water_bug.jpg

TheCrane said:
So to all you arthrophobes, SAC-UP:rockin: and enjoy the thrill of knowing that you still live in something of a wild place were creatures that may hurt you still exist. It'll keep you grounded.

I get that. I hate to spray for anything. This is probably what I get for killing off the giant wasp hive by my front door, as they are the natural predators. But, I do have twin toddlers who I like to play outside with. When they can't walk out the door without risking a sting, or play on their slide under the trees without risking a sting- control is my first instinct. I have my degree in Agronomy, with a minor in entomology, so I am not running around trying to wipe out ecosystems.

As for something of a wild place where creatures may still hurt you still exist keeping me grounded.... sounds like you don't have Black widows, brown recluses, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, copperheads, the occasional coral snake, scorpions, centipedes, fire ants, killer bees, and um, stinging caterpillars. I'm Sacked-up and grounded plenty. :D

quickerNu said:
As for something of a wild place where creatures may still hurt you still exist keeping me grounded.... sounds like you don't have Black widows, brown recluses, cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, copperheads, the occasional coral snake, scorpions, centipedes, fire ants, killer bees, and um, stinging caterpillars. I'm Sacked-up and grounded plenty. :D

Yeah I know I'm idealistic;) and that wasn't meant to be a personal attack on your masculinity. I can see where your coming from, especially with kids in the yard. The conservation rants and trying to get people to not only accept, but admire and take pride in their local fauna is just sort of a knee jerk. I tend to side with the critters over human comfort, that's my bias. I grew up in the middle of one of the last great Massasauga rattlesnake populations and encountered them in the yard regularly. I watched the locals kill every rattlesnake (and just about any other snake) on sight and then brag about it. Still makes me sick. Its worth noting that in the US between 1960 and 1990 less than 12 fatal snake bites occurred annually, a figure that seems disproportionate to the amount of fear and intolerance these creatures create. And of course you know, the vast majority of venomous snake bites occur as the direct result molestation. As far as stinging insects go, my front porch has housed a large colony of the infamous yellowjacket for the past 4 years. I step over the entrance to their nest every time I exist my apartment and have yet to be stung. Respect given, respect returned.:mug:

No offense taken at all. I feel the same way, but I'm not just looking out for me anymore. I will manipulate the system 'till the kids are old enough to recognize, respect and avoid the dangers. But in the end- WE ARE IN THE DRUNKEN RAMBLINGS FORUM!!! :mug: :tank: :cross:

Brake parts cleaner is the quickest and easiest way I have found to kill Black Widows (and wood boring bees) without tainting the wood they live in.

pldoolittle said:
Brake parts cleaner is the quickest and easiest way I have found to kill Black Widows (and wood boring bees) without tainting the wood they live in.

Yep- my personal favorite. Turning one of those compressed air duster cans over will freeze a wasp midair if you are out of brakleen, too.

Latest posts

Back