Evil effin' Caterpillars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheCrane said:
Okay, got my tree huggin out of the way. Now, my vote for creepiest critter of my nape of the woods (northern MI). This little guy (Lethocerus) occurs all over North America and can, I've heard, inflict a nasty bite. However, in several attempts I have failed to induce a bite despite prodding, poking and generally irritating the poor buggers.

I saw on tv once, a guy got bit and his hand went numb for quite some time.

It took me a long time to appreciate Yellow Jackets as a predator. Now that I understand their role, it makes sense. But around the house you can bet there won't be any nests! In the garden, sure because I can take note of the location and the kids (and anyone else) will know the location of the nest. Spiders, Centipedes, etc. are all welcome in the garden. Now, if I lived where the Black Widow thrived or the Brown Recluse (we do have them here, but they are both rare and usually indoors in basements as they can't tolerate it outside in the winter) you would bet I'd make efforts to eradicate them in areas where we often go.

Just about any Caterpillar with spines can cause major skin irritation. We used to fool around by taking those black and brown ones (wooly worms) and tossing them down friend's shirts. Oouch! Other than that we don't get too many scary critters.

I did have a snake fall down on me last year though when cleaning out the shed.

zoebisch01 said:
I did have a snake fall down on me last year though when cleaning out the shed.

Ha! I bet you did a little hopping around when that happened!! Soulja Boy dance probably had nuthin' on you! :p

Bedlam said:
Ha! I bet you did a little hopping around when that happened!! Soulja Boy dance probably had nuthin' on you! :p

Yeah I did. I flung it into a pile of that foam metallic faced insulation laying on the floor. What I didn't know about snakes is that most of them vibrate their tails when threatened....so the thing's tail was vibrating between the pieces of insulation and I couldn't see it...yeah my heart was pounding. Turned out to be a Corn snake. :p

Those are some Fricken Wicked bugs! My tomato plants cease to be after these boogers:

P3120083.jpg

Then they change into these bastids:

Five-spottedHawkmoth19Sep06-1sc_jpg.jpg

Oh, and for all you bug lovers:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhwfQDPVSYg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhwfQDPVSYg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

david_42 said:
And who's idea were these things?

redwoods_banana_slugs.jpg

On my first night in Oregon, I went outside bare foot to enjoy the fresh air and stepped right in what I thought was dog poo. It squished in between my toes and I was like, "great now I've got to wash this stinky **** off of my foot." I hobbled to the porch, turned on the light to find the remains of one of those banana slugs stuck between my toes. The thing was almost 10" long!!! At the time it was the most disgusting thing I had ever stepped in.

HighPlainsDrifter said:
On my first night in Oregon, I went outside bare foot to enjoy the fresh air and stepped right in what I thought was dog poo. It squished in between my toes and I was like, "great now I've got to wash this stinky **** off of my foot." I hobbled to the porch, turned on the light to find the remains of one of those banana slugs stuck between my toes. The thing was almost 10" long!!! At the time it was the most disgusting thing I had ever stepped in.
So what have you stepped in now that is more disgusting?

Hell Brew said:
So what have you stepped in now that is more disgusting?

Last week I went out to have a smoke and the very first step (bare foot again) hit some greasy green rodent guts the my cat had thoughtfully left on my stoop for me.

Hey you had to ask right?

HighPlainsDrifter said:
Those are a type of wasp egg. The little ones hatch and eat the host from the inside out.

Any chance of hiring a few giant ones for my ex-husband (the man not-so-affectionately known as PusBoy)?:cross:

HighPlainsDrifter said:
Those are a type of wasp egg. The little ones hatch and eat the host from the inside out.

The damage has already been done. Those are braconid wasp pupae, the eggs are laid internally.

Latest posts

Back