Everything is leaking CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBreweryUnderground

Reaction score
I am a total kegging n00b. This is my second post today on it.

So I put everything together and when I open up the valve on the CO2 tank I hear a ton of hissing by the regulator and by the first hose connection. I figure I just need to clamp the hose down more with a set of pliers, but I'm not sure what to do about the regulator. Everything is brand new so I suspect it's my fault. I had the regulator tightened up as hard as I could on the CO2 tank so maybe I'm just missing something.

Try a rubber o ring.. To fit particular size from reg to co2. The use of tefflon tape around thread of gas is also a must! i have found that some of the more ridged hoses arnt as plyable as softer ones.. Thus assisting in small leaks. The use of boiling hot water to soften hose prior to connection workes well. (some of mine dont even have clamps) some times one can pierce a small hole in line if over clamped causing a pinch.
Try soapy water on all joins and turn on gas to see where leak is coming from. Fix as needed..

That was exactly it, thank god because I just racked two batches into kegs and they need to be purged with CO2. The gasket was just hanging out at the bottom of the box not in the bag with the rest of little things. Now I think I finally have a hang of this kegging, except for getting my keezer at the right temps...

[...]The use of tefflon tape around thread of gas is also a must! [...]

No, it's not.

I have two separate CO2 distribution systems servicing 10 kegs, and there isn't a speck of teflon tape anywhere on either system. Flare fittings never require tape. Indeed, adding tape to a flare fitting can only screw it up...

Cheers!

Flairs are different. I have used vasaline. Seemed to work.. But i dont have leaks often..

This comes up so many times here.

The only fittings that need PTFE tape or any lubrication/sealant for that matter are those with tapered threads (ie NPT) in which the threads provide the seal. If you put tape on a flare fitting, a compression fitting, a CGA fitting (like on the CO2 tank) or anywhere else where it's not required it can prevent you from tightening all the way and actually cause leaks. Your flares don't need vaseline. And your CGA fitting does not need PTFE tape.

Back