Ever Run Out of Gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfro

Reaction score
Hey brewers, just wondering who out there has run out of fuel mid-brew before? I'm using a typical turkey fryer setup to do my boils, and have done a few batches and can feel my LP tank getting lighter and lighter. I'm not sure how much I have left, and more importantly I'm not sure what I'd do if I ran out mid brew. I would assume I'd have to run for a refill quick, but then that messes with the hop schedule. Has anyone run into this before? Is the safe bet to just refill early even though you end up paying extra for unused fuel?

Thanks!
:mug:

Did it once... I knew I was close when I started so it really was my own fault though, lol. It wasn't too bad as the wort was already up to heat so I just fired up two burners on my stove to max and moved it there.

I've been meaning to get a second tank. After all I use them for grilling and brewing... no biggie to have a second floating around.

Your bottle will have the tare weight (empty weight) stamped somewhere, which is usually around 18lbs. You can then weigh your tank on a scale and subtract your tare weight to determine how many lbs of propane are left in the tank. Standard sizes take 20lbs of propane for a full weight of 38lbs.

I have two tanks as mentioned above. But before that, I was lucky enough to never really have an issue. I did run out once while bring the wort up to boil. I just ran out and exchanged it and kept going. No harm done, the beer, a kolsch, turned out great.

If you run out and have a BBQ grill just grab that tank to finish the brew.

I ran out once. Quickly grabbed the tank off the grill which unfortunately weighted just as much as my empty tank. Had to borrow a neighbor's tank. I'm all electric now so hopefully the power won't go out when i'm brewing.

Your bottle will have the tare weight (empty weight) stamped somewhere, which is usually around 18lbs. You can then weigh your tank on a scale and subtract your tare weight to determine how many lbs of propane are left in the tank. Standard sizes take 20lbs of propane for a full weight of 38lbs.

Are you sure about that? Mine says 15 lbs empty. I may need a refill since I'm at 21lbs lol

I have six tanks, so I always have a couple with a little gas left! Between brewing, two bbq grills and a pop-up camper, there is usually a spare around somewhere!

Remember your boy scout motto! Be prepared!

Are you sure about that? Mine says 15 lbs empty. I may need a refill since I'm at 21lbs lol

You've got 6#, that's plenty to get you through a brew. That's almost 1/3 tank.

And yes I've run out numerous times before I had a spare tank or 2. I just stopped the timer, ran to the store to exchange (which can be a bot tricky if you've already been drinking) come back and hook it back up and start the timer again when it comes back to boil. I'm sure the IBUs were different from what beersmith said they would be, but I still made beer.
RDWHAHB.

Yeah I just checked mine. its 15 empty. I used about 4-5 lbs per batch so I think I can squeeze one more batch out. They're called 20# pound tanks because they hold 20#s of propane.

Wrote this before I saw the above post

Yes and that's why I have two tanks now. Had to make a run for a refill, but the batch turned out okay.

I had to get a second tank so that i could follow the homebrewing commandments and drink homebrew while brewing......thus making driving a nono:cross:

I have to get a second tank. This situation is my nightmare. I tend to have more than just a few while brewing. I've only done two AG brews so far in the past 4 months, but I'm really worried about running out of gas for my next one on Saturday.

I have run out of gas mid boil on an amber that scored 41.5 at the largest brew comp. in the state...Now how the hell do I do that beer again..Ha HA ha.
Pat

For about $50.00 you can get a valve for two tanks from an RV place that will automatically switch over to the new tank when one runs out. Its worth it to me to save all the guess work.

I just try and refill whenever possible. The U-Haul near me refills partially full tanks and charges by the gallon (including partial gallons), so I tend to just swing my tank by every third or fourth brew session or so.

Good call finding a place to refill by the pound. I didn't really want to have a 2nd tank sitting around, but it would be well worth it when I need it (mainly since a new tank is $50 where a refill is like $18). I can't fall back on the grill since I'm a charcoal guy. Glad to hear people were still able to make good beers even with a pit-stop in the middle of the boil.

Nope...I have a natural gas tap with an auto shutoff. It's nice not having to worry about filling bottles. Someday, I will go electric.

I bought this little guy and it works great. It cost me about $15 shipped.

gg.jpg

Yeah turns out I need to buy a gauge. Out of my paranoia I took my tank in to be refilled before brewing this week, and it was still almost half full, whoops. Good call on having 2 tanks with the change-over valve though, might have to look into that.

I live in NYC, by law you are not allowed to fill up tanks only exchange, so there is no such thing as topping off a tank. I too learnt the hard way and now have two tanks. Between the grill and the brew I use only one tank at a time and always have a full as a backup.

I usually just guestimate by picking it up. I generally know how much the thing should weigh empty, so I just kinda go for it. It helps to be able to top off though, I'd go the gauge route if I was only able to exchange.

Gauges on propane tanks are virtually useless. Propane in the tank is in a liquid state, and 'boils' off as you use it. Therefore, the pressure in the tank stays constant, right up until there is no more liquid in the tank, and then it falls rapidly. Same goes for CO2 tanks.

Only true way to know how much is in the tank is by weight, as was stated earlier.

Just pour a big glass of hot water over the side of the tank. After a few seconds you can determine the level of the propane by touching the side of the tank. Start at the top of the tank. It will be warm. As you run your fingers down the tank, it will suddenly get cold. That's the level of the propane left in your tank. ;)

I only have one tank. I know it takes me 4-5 lbs. of propane to do a batch, and that my tank has an 18 lb. tare (empty) weight, so I use the bathroom scales to keep track of how much is left........haven't run out so far.

My other propane tanks (for the grill) are no good, as they use a bayonet connector that isn't compatible. I haven't bought another tank for the burner because I'm seriously considering running a propane line from the bulk tank that services our house to the garage (about 35 ft), so that I can tap into the cheap gas....

Gauges on propane tanks are virtually useless. Propane in the tank is in a liquid state, and 'boils' off as you use it. Therefore, the pressure in the tank stays constant, right up until there is no more liquid in the tank, and then it falls rapidly.
I can only tell you from my experience, the gauge I posted tells me I am low when I have enough propane for a 60 min boil left. Only time it did not work was in sub zero weather.

Back