Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking maybe something (such as an add here) is installing some malware when you move your cursor over it, and then by nature of this community, many people go on and use their CC for a purchase. It's at this point that the # is stolen regardless of where they shop.

Just thinking out loud though.

Ask the admin how they handle transactions. I'll bet they NEVER see the info and it goes directly to the clearing house that does the charges so it ends up being a secure transaction between the user and the processor.

or this...

Keep in mind that not all security compromises are at the server end. Many times they're at the client end. Common websites visitied (sometimes trojans sneak through...). Common software. It goes on.

Seeing what I've seen, ahs will come clean if the security lapse was on their end. It happens. Who knows though, maybe there's a trojan lurking on *some* website every single one of us visits multiple times a day (and I bet was open during that ahs order...)

*note: I've never ordered from ahs but don't like what's turning into a witch hunt here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2628735

I agree. The real question: I havent read any posts that anyone has contacted AHS. Not blaming them but there is enough posts that it would be good if they were at least aware.

I've just PM'd Forrest with the info regarding my card. I know he's on the case and aware there may be issues from replies in the other threads.

Mods: is there any chance we could merge the (at least) 3 threads on this topic so we can stay up to date on info not cross posted?

Using a credit card, not a debit card is good advice. Another option is to use a service such as ShopShield.net. PayPal used to offer a great one-time card number service which I used a lot, but they discontinued it because it never caught on.

Could it be a computer problem? If you have an inadequately protected wireless network, someone could sniff your info out of thin air. Could be a virus or spyware or malware or whatever other fancy word you can think of. It might even be a problem with Visa or whoever. Or somewhere between AHS and Visa. All credit card transactions are sent over the Internet. Even when you run a card at a store.

Also ordered from AHS and had discover call me about a suspicious charge. Card number has since been canceled.

Could it be a computer problem? If you have an inadequately protected wireless network, someone could sniff your info out of thin air. Could be a virus or spyware or malware or whatever other fancy word you can think of. It might even be a problem with Visa or whoever. Or somewhere between AHS and Visa. All credit card transactions are sent over the Internet. Even when you run a card at a store.

The weird thing is how many people recently bought at AHS. And you could say it's because we're on a brewing website, but how come other competitor brewing supply sites aren't being constantly mentioned then?

I ordered from ahs about 10 days ago and got a call from u.s. Bank today.... Another card cancelled. Fraud sucks, but I still love ahs..... I'm sure this will all get worked out. Lets all keep our support for AHS! :mug:

Hacked maybe, but what about disgruntled personnel or opportunists? My number was stolen exactly twice in the last 15 years and both times was some waiter in a restaurant and I use my card online a dozen times a week.

Bought from AHS on 1/30/11, got the call today for 2 charges. Card cancelled....

Add me to the list. Ordered within the last 3 weeks and got a call from my bank earlier in this week with fraudulent activity. Card has since been canceled.

Hacked maybe, but what about disgruntled personnel or opportunists? My number was stolen exactly twice in the last 15 years and both times was some waiter in a restaurant and I use my card online a dozen times a week.
Yeah, disgruntled employee is the feeling I'm getting after seeing Walker's post on how credit cards get processed.

I've had my card stolen once. 18 years ago my card was pulled out of the mailbox at my dorm in New York. Card got maxed out at Nobody Beats the Wiz within days. A waiter got my dad's card a few years ago in Seattle.

Yeah, I'd guess a lot of users on HBT order things from AHS. I hope that isn't the common link for AHS's sake.

For what its worth I have 2 orders from AHS last month (28th and 31st) and haven't had any suspicious activity. I just checked my Visa account online and there wasn't anything other than what I bought.

The fraudulent charges on my card started 3 days after I ordered from AHS, I also used a secure system to do the ordering so I know its not on my end.

Could perhaps even be a man-in-the-middle attack against their server.

I just received a call yesterday saying someone got my info and had purchased over $100 worth of items. Funny thing is I just bought some stuff from AHS last week for the first time ever.

I love AHS and have spent a %$#^load of money with them but gotta say i think i am holding off ordering anything from them until they get to the bottom of this.

I agree one common thread is we all hang out on here and a large number of us shop with AHS but i have lost count how many people have shopped with AHS and had their accounts stolen. One is a troll, a couple is a coincidence, 20+ is the sign of a serious problem.

So one of two things has happened here... 1. HBT has been hacked and is stealing cards or 2. AHS has been hacked and is stealing cards.

TxBrew and AHS are both in TX. You all should have lunch and get to the bottom of this.

I love AHS and have spent a %$#^load of money with them but gotta say i think i am holding off ordering anything from them until they get to the bottom of this.

I agree one common thread is we all hang out on here and a large number of us shop with AHS but i have lost count how many people have shopped with AHS and had their accounts stolen. One is a troll, a couple is a coincidence, 20+ is the sign of a serious problem.

So one of two things has happened here... 1. HBT has been hacked and is stealing cards or 2. AHS has been hacked and is stealing cards.

TxBrew and AHS are both in TX. You all should have lunch and get to the bottom of this.

People said they used their cards at AHB, not HBT. We know AHB is using a 'bad system' since they have to retrieve the numbers online and input them manually. That link could be compromised in numerous places outside his control.

Looks like you can add me as another data point. I ordered from AHS on Jan 24 and got a call from Bank of America yesterday. I'm still happy with the service I've gotten from AHS and will definitely order from them in the future. But this many people with AHS in common seems like much more than a coincidence.

1. HBT has been hacked and is stealing cards

If this was the case, I'd expect a lot more: Northern Brewer, BMW, MoreBeer, etc..... connections.

This appears to be related directly to AHS (a couple references to one of the kegging places also)

The fraudulent charges on my card started 3 days after I ordered from AHS, I also used a secure system to do the ordering so I know its not on my end.

Could perhaps even be a man-in-the-middle attack against their server.

They advertise verisign on their site. Once you go into https mode it is an encrypted connection. I don't think this would be subject to that type of attack. My concern would be how AHS accesses the info since they do it by hand. THAT connection may not be https.

My point was common denominator for all of the people who had their accounts hacked is they were on here and they shopped at AHS. So its either one or the other.....

They advertise verisign on their site. Once you go into https mode it is an encrypted connection. I don't think this would be subject to that type of attack. My concern would be how AHS accesses the info since they do it by hand. THAT connection may not be https.

MITM attacks are also possible against https connections as well, it is not unheard of. The fact that verisign issued the certificate does not mean that it is not compromised.

You jinxed me!

Got a call today: fraudulent activity on my card (no, not from AHS). I haven't used it in over a week.

DAMN! At least the credit card company was on it right from the git-go.

if this many beer people are getting attached just think of the number of people who are being hacked daily....

-= Jason =-

MITM attacks are also possible against https connections as well, it is not unheard of. The fact that verisign issued the certificate does not mean that it is not compromised.
And none of these peoples browsers warned them? You can spoof, but not replicate, the certificate. If you could, they would be worthless to start with. That is their purpose in life, to make sure you are at the site you believe you are at. The other possibility is that verisign is hacked? Not likely.

i use a onetime use visa card service that my bank provides. the number is good for two months and has a maximum value i assign. if i order $50 worth of stuff i generate a $50 visa card so if it's intercepted they can only get $50. i bank with bank of america but similar schemes may be offered by other banks. i've never had a problem with card fraud and we shop online for most things, fed ex, ups and the postal service are at my door every day it seems.

if this many beer people are getting attached just think of the number of people who are being hacked daily....

-= Jason =-

Pretty sad, huh? And how many are actually making money off these scams? It appears to me the banks are on top of things for the most part; so it appears to be more of a crime of chaos rather than profit....

It's not HBT in my case. I've only used PayPal for my HBT membership - they've never seen my card #.

i just check my account, and i have the same problem, 500 dollar buy on my bank account that i did not and something else as well

Add me to the list !! I ordered from AHS about 2 weeks ago. AMEX caught it so I wasn't out any money. They even overnighted me a new card. I hope this is an isolated incident.

Well, this is not cool! sorry to hear everybody's issues. I just ordered from AHB 2 days ago and am not gonna wait for that call and just canceled my card tonight! Fraud is BAD.

Hope all works out for everyone.

Question for everyone....

Is AHS the only place you've used your card on-line in the last ~3 weeks?? I see a lot of "hey, I ordered from AHS awhile ago and got hit the other day."

It's my experience that when they get your card #, they hit you quick. I think we all should be looking for purchases made closer to ~2/7/11, not these various "I ordered from AHS once" type things....

By all means, if your only purchase is from AHS, then yes; that should be a concern, but my guess is most people are making dozens of on-line purchases a month, and the only "connection" to AHS is because this is a beer forum.

I hope I'm right, but will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong...

yah, due to mine was a debit card, im prob out 500 dollars (that an now im on the edge of being broke) fml!

I had this call about fraud charges Monday. Not related to AHBS but a purchased I made form an E cigerette company. seems to me that this is so much more common then anyone really thinks. Luckly, my bank caught it and denied the $300 change, just had to challege 2 charges for $4.44. Just a royal PIA to get it cleared up.

the only place that i hvae used my card in the past 3 weeks has been in person , such as home depot and other stores. the only online i have used was rebel brewing and austin

the only place that i hvae used my card in the past 3 weeks has been in person , such as home depot and other stores. the only online i have used was rebel brewing and austin

There are those swipe fraud things also; so don't assume "in person" transactions are any safer than on-line....

I'm not picking on you; but just using you as an example: so, you've used your cared in the past 3 weeks at homedepot, other stores, Rebel, and AHS - and AHS is where the weak link is?

yah, due to mine was a debit card, im prob out 500 dollars (that an now im on the edge of being broke) fml!

I got hit last year, think it was a shifty gas station; you can try to contact your bank and dispute the charges, they will make you fill out a form and get the money back to you in about a week or so...

You jinxed me!

Got a call today: fraudulent activity on my card (no, not from AHS). I haven't used it in over a week.

DAMN! At least the credit card company was on it right from the git-go.

You haven't bought from AHS in the last few weeks?

Question for everyone....

Is AHS the only place you've used your card on-line in the last ~3 weeks?? I see a lot of "hey, I ordered from AHS awhile ago and got hit the other day."

AHS is the only place I used that card ONLINE, but not the only place I have used that card since using it at AHS. It's entirely possible that my favourite waiter at the local tex-mex skimmed it or the cashier at Popeyes drivethru. I am starting to think, though, that as many are turning up here in a short period, the AHS link is starting to look more and more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back