Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted AHS and asked if they would grant me free shipping on my next order as compensation for my troubles. They dodged the issue and the result in the end was a no. Heck, they arent even claiming full responsibility yet despite all that has occurred.

Piss poor service. Someone needs to instruct Customer Service 101 with the owner. Pathetic

So you have proof that they are fully responsible?

And you do get free shipping on orders over $100 ;)

Proof like in court of law and affidavits? No, but considering I only use that card for online purchases and havent made one with it in 4 months prior (coupled with the victims on this boards), its a reasonable assumption that the leak came from AHS. Take that :p

And Ive also determined that BC here in the Valley is very expensive compared to other LHBS :(

Proof like in court of law and affidavits? No, but considering I only use that card for online purchases and havent made one with it in 4 months prior (coupled with the victims on this boards), its a reasonable assumption that the leak came from AHS. Take that :p

And Ive also determined that BC here in the Valley is very expensive compared to other LHBS :(

Oh don't get me wrong - the connection is to AHS. I'm just saying that it has yet to be revealed where in the process the hackers got in.....It may have been then CC processing server they use...

Have you checked out What Ale's Ya over in Glendale? I haven't shopped there in awhile; but Chuck and crew are good guys...

Oh don't get me wrong - the connection is to AHS. I'm just saying that it has yet to be revealed where in the process the hackers got in.....It may have been then CC processing server they use...

Have you checked out What Ale's Ya over in Glendale? I haven't shopped there in awhile; but Chuck and crew are good guys...

Agreed, I undoubtedly think that the weak link is in the CC processor. But from a customer's standpoint, the retailer and processor are one in the same

No, I havent checked out WAY yet. I work in the west valley and need to make a point on checking them out. Heard from this board nothing but good things about them

Anybody gotten any updates from AHS about whether or not they've resolved this issue? I'd like to buy without having to worry about someone buying a plane ticket out of Boogerglob, Bulgaria on my dime...:D

Anybody gotten any updates from AHS about whether or not they've resolved this issue? I'd like to buy without having to worry about someone buying a plane ticket out of Boogerglob, Bulgaria on my dime...:D

Pretty sure the crooks are hit and run types. Chances are AHS is safer than it has ever been.

I had all my false charges reversed and didn't end up being out a single dime.

I just ordered again with my AMEX. I am not worried.

Just use paypal.

-

I ordered 2/21 and haven't had any problems...
Cool. I remember AHS stating that they pinpointed the purchase date between early Jan and early Feb. Hopefully they got their act together

Now about their customer service.........:D

Just a heads up, I just found $2000 in Amazon purchases on my CC over the past couple of days. I got the email from AHS but because I was going out of town had to keep the card open. After a week when I didn't see any weird charges I figured I was fine. CC company is taking care of it so no big deal for now but for those of you who ordered but haven't had any issues I encourage you do look again.

FWIW, I work with many business and fraud is very common whether its through cc's or checks. I in no way see this as the fault of AHS it does suck never the less. I will continue using them. Just make sure you use a cc and not a debit card when purchasing online.

HEY! How did you know I was flying out of Boogerglob International Jetport? Darn the interwebz.

I had one stolen before. Started charging me 100 bucks at a time at Wal-Mart out of state until they hit the limit of the card. Bank called me at work to verify that I was making the purchases by calling the in-state number. When I told them that it wasn't me, they cut the card and dropped a new one in the mail for me. They caught it within a day of the first charge. Took a while to get it straightened out since my bank refunded, recharged, refunded, recharged, etc. like they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

I just placed my order with them 02/25/2011 and everything is fine got the package on time as usual.

definitely not a coincidence. i bought something from AHS 4 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago i receive the fraud alert from AHS, and today i get a call from american express.

someone in japan tried to purchase yahoo listing ads. i'm 99% that the charges are due to the AHS breach - i've had maybe 1 other fraud charge in the past 10 years.

huge fail on behalf of AHS. i like them less and less. fortunately, amex provides great fraud protections. i think my business will go to midwest and northern.

Last week, I went and got one of those prepaid western union VISA CC/Debit cards... Within three days they sent me one with my name on it, expiration date, and code... It costs me $4.95 each time I want to put money on it, and I can put up to $750 on it.. It has all the same fraud protection as any other VISA card...

(They also had one, that for a 'monthly' fee of $9, you could load with up to $15000, and no charge for relaods.. just the monthly fee)

So now, I've made a few on line purchases totaling over $1100 for a cost of $10... I just decide what all I need to buy in the next week or two, put that much on it, and then go buy it, leaving a minimal amount left on the card should anyone try and compromise the card..

Everyone has to decide how they want to deal with this issue.. Because it is definitely something that is now part of life in the 21st century...

That's how I chose to deal with it, at least for now... I feel safe again ordering from AHS or anyone else... Yes, it's a small extra expense, but the peace of mind it buys is worth it 'for me'...

I got hit with fraudulent charges stemming from my AHS order as well. It was almost 3 weeks before the charges hit my credit cart, luckily the bank took care of it.

Don't get down on AHB. This can happen to ANY company that does not have the TENS OF THOUSANDS OF $s and a whole department just for web/internet/c.c. processing security like Amazon, Sears, etc. have.

Something happened to us a year ago. We found the problem, corrected the system error, notified customers between specific dates of a possible breach and changed our PCI security scans to weekly instead of monthly.
Every day our server system is running 4 different security programs. Once a week on a rotational day basis, our server system is scanned by 13 different security programs.
Remember, these ******* thieves are not dumb! They are constantly learning and trying new ways to screw EVERYONE.

For example: Like many other online sellers, we noticed that [a theft ring from Singapore] was attempting purchases. All had the same name of card, same CC number but a different card security code. Upon communicating with Wells Fargo Bank, First Data Corp AND the PCI organization, I was told that the Singapore contacts were "testing" stolen cc numbers. Once they get the cc security code then they go on a buying spree.
Our response: We blocked ALL incoming orders via IP blocking from Singapore. We also forwarded all address and IP information to the Singapore Dept. of Trade. A Cabinet level person replied only two days later, thanking us for the information, stating that they were in the process of raiding some offices near to a freight consolodation wharehouse used as the shipping address. Three weeks later we recieved a message that they found OVER 75 computers in one room, manned by people doing nothing but trying stolen cc # testing!

It is a jungle out there.
The best thing you can do is have your cc issuing companies send you an alert to your email, cell phone, text message....anywhere, everytime a purchase is made with your cc account. That way you can see INSTANTLY when your card is accessed and notify your cc issuing co. of any possible breach.

AHS sent me an e-mail for 10% off my next order for all the trouble with my account. Check your e-mails.

AHS sent me an e-mail for 10% off my next order for all the trouble with my account. Check your e-mails.

Yeah me too. Went to see what that would do to the cost of some fittings that I need and WOW, 9.89 for a Street Elbow?!?!?!?!? Marked down from 12.99 for a Female Camlock?!?!?! I'll stick with Fastenall thanks.

AHS has some pretty damn steep prices for the exact same thing others are selling. Just an FYI. I highly suggest shopping around before ordering.

I just received the same - not sure if this is limited to folks who reached out individually to Forest or not, but it'll not likely go unappreciated...

Just received the same email, I believe that it went to everyone as that I was lucky enough to purchase from them in January and February and not have my account compromised.

They got me today. Ordered from AHS back in January. Charges went through on my card today that were not authorized. Had to go to the bank and despute charges and get a new card #.

Yeah me too. Went to see what that would do to the cost of some fittings that I need and WOW, 9.89 for a Street Elbow?!?!?!?!? Marked down from 12.99 for a Female Camlock?!?!?! I'll stick with Fastenall thanks.

AHS has some pretty damn steep prices for the exact same thing others are selling. Just an FYI. I highly suggest shopping around before ordering.

Have you calculated price with their different shipping options? Have you looked at their price match option?

Just an FYI ;)

Have you calculated price with their different shipping options? Have you looked at their price match option?

Just an FYI ;)

No, just saw they were trying to sell Cam Locks for double what others were. Even there Special Price is higher than the others. I don't think that I had realized how high priced they were. Not trying to bag on them. Just pointing out they they might want to look at their prices and compare them to their competitors'.

Yeah, I noticed similar disparities while assembling my kegerator - some things (the sale they've had going on Perlick's immediately spring to mind) beat the snot out of what I could find elsewhere...

I almost just bought everything there for convenience's sake, but they were out of stock on shanks, which caused me to look to a couple other vendors and find that, pretty much as a rule, no one vendor is the most affordable provider of every component you might need. I wound up getting my gas hardware and disconnects from a local place (a really lucky freebie-find on my part), Perlicks and hose from AHBS, and shanks and other hardware from NB.

I've never had any issue with AHS and will continue to use them. The thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for. I'm sure they don't have the best price for every single thing they carry but you will get good service and know that you are dealing with a reputable company.

CC fraud is very rarely the fault of the vendor.

No idea who is at fault but I just thought I'd add that two fraudulent charges just showed on my account. One for $10.09 and another for $0.10. I have canceled the card and will be reissued a new one along with a refund for the charges.

Save me from reading 96 pages please!
I ordered from AHS a couple of weeks ago and used a Visa debit card. Should I worry?

Save me from reading 96 pages please!
I ordered from AHS a couple of weeks ago and used a Visa debit card. Should I worry?

As with any on-line purchase using a debit card, you should be concerned...

But, it appears the AHS connection was for purchases made in mid January to very early February.

As with any on-line purchase using a debit card, you should be concerned...

But, it appears the AHS connection was for purchases made in mid January to very early February.

My purchases were made on January 4th and February 6th.

AZ_IPA said:
As always; keep an eye on things, but I don't think you're in the window...

I was the one that reported fraud a couple posts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back