Euro Sanke S-Type Keg - Tear It Down (for re-use as a keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alecsf

Reaction score
Hi All,

I think I've found an 'under-served' topic:

How to take a Euro (S-Type) Sanke to bits for cleaning / sanitation and put it back together.

So far, I got the spear out with a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer.

*** LET THE PRESSURE OUT FIRST!!!***

• Hit the lugs in an anti-clockwise motion. (I did this by sitting on the keg while it's horizontal and hammering the screwdriver onto the lug while the keg was facing the wall.)
  • 'Feel' for the give, and then unscrew it by hand, using the lugs as finger-grips
  • Yay.

I've seen the following descriptions about dissembling the spear:

1 - Internal: HBT
"Found this on the internet, works like a charm:

Unscrew the spear [That's what I just did; see above.], drop a nickel on top of the ball, attach s type coupler and depress as though you were tapping a keg. Will pull right out. [I haven't done this yet.] The nickel allows the valve to be fully depressed, thus releasing the safety latch.

No damage to the valve, no special tools required!"

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sankey-threaded-spear-removal-145720/

2 - External: Not HBT
"Pull the bottom gasket off of the coupler so the coupler will not seal. Then find a bolt that will fit in the small hole in the bottom of the coupler. Unscrew the spear then tap it like a full keg and lift up. If the spear doesn't come out put a washer on the bolt before slipping it in the coupler hole." [Obviously most of this must be done after the spear is unscrewed from the keg; see a above.]

http://www.beer-recipe.org/EuroSanke.html

We don't have 'nickels' where I am. Just 'jiao'. Waiting for SWMBD (that's 'defied') to come home with the jiao...

SankeSpearOut.jpg

More later.

Latest posts

Back