Threaded or clip style Sanke D kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Which is easier to pull apart and clean threaded or clip style sanke D kegs?

I currently have the clip style and they are a ***** to pull apart. I even bought the tool to depress the spear, but all it seems to do is help relieve the pressure. Gets in the way more than helps. Even after the clip is out I have to bang on a hammer and screwdriver to get it to twist, so hard it almost breaks the tabs. Is it this just because the keg is brand new and the seal is tight? I thought it would get easier as I do it more, but I always seem to run in a snag that I do not see when watching videos how to do it?

I've been cleaning mine by pumping oxy into the keg and having it run out the gas post. I have a modified sankey tap to allow this to happen and it seems to be working fine for the past year.

I'm sure with enough practice, someone might find the threaded easier, but I think lock ring is easier. Most of the time, I can do it in a minute or two.

BBBF thank you. I realized after the second time I tried the the clip I fiqured practice is what I needed. The third time I was ready to go all threaded, but I couldn't even get the steam to twist 1/8" with a hammer and driver. At a time of frustration you set me straight.

Genuine I do the exact same thing but I think after every 5th brew taking it apart is a must. Not to mention the fact that I have found the springs in the steam to have Heavy grind marks at the end of them when the grind them down to specs. I smooth them out. Such a major spot for nasty's to hide!

Back