Estimating FG from mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozt

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a big fan of doing my calculations by hand for my recipes (PPG, attentation, IBUs, etc), and I was wondering if there is a formula for estimating FG /%fermentables/attentuation based on mash temp. I realize this might be difficult/impossible to calculate due to the various temps at which different grains are "gelatinized", but I'd love to know if there is a way. Any help?

Thanks

There is a lot of math for all the calculations, more than I would like to type and explain. Fortunately Ray Daniels wrote a book called "Designing Great Recipes" that has everything you need! There is also a free online book called "How To Brew" by Palmer-google it! I don't remember if he addresses all the calculations as its been awhile since I read through it! Personally I just use BeerSmith, quick and easy! Cheers!

I've skimmed the sections in How to Brew relating to mash temp, and the bit about alpha-amylase / beta-amylase, but these don't specify any numbers in terms of fermentabiliity. While Beersmith is a really useful tool, my nerdiness obligates that I find the equations to do the calculations myself :) Thanks for the input though; I may have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of the Daniels book.

Back