Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rjwhite41 said:
Yeah, I agree. Am I the only one getting sick of everyone calling for a suspension everytime somebody gets hit? It's a violent sport and violent things will happen, unless a player intentionally tries to seriously injure another then call the penalty, if one's deserved, and leave it alone.

No you're not the only the one, I hate it as well and it seems to come from "new" fans of the game.

Here's a stat for all you folks who don't like numbers: Since leaving Buffalo... Danny Briere has 36 playoff goals. The Sabres, as a team, have 33.

Leeds1 said:
No you're not the only the one, I hate it as well and it seems to come from "new" fans of the game.

I'm all for what you guys are saying, and I thought the raffi Torres hit shouldn't have been a suspension.

But this was from behind and into the boards. I couldn't be further from a "new" fan. As a current coach, former player and 12 years as a level 4 official; I can tell you, the two worst phrases are "from behind" and "into the boards". He may not have had murderous intent, but the result could have been/will be dangerous.

This is exactly the type of thing that they say they are trying to get out. I have no problem with a hit, or a fight, or even a slash. But when you hit a player into the boards from behind, that's over the line.

It's not so much that he needs to be suspended, but he can't get a minor and no suspension. Major and a game, no suspension, fine. Minor and suspension, also fine. But the league can't suspend people for this type if thing ever again if you don't suspend for this. That's the joke.

Oh and that Steven walkom will be allowed to ref again. Ha!

Look at Randy Jones' hit on Patruce Bergeron or Jesse Boulerice on whoever he hit.

Those were dangerous hits, where players were hit from behind into the boards.

This was a player being hit from behind that fell into the boards. Big deference there.

Boarding is scary but it's not a major, match, and suspension on every play.

Here's the randy jones hit i was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barnzy02 said:
Look at Randy Jones' hit on Patruce Bergeron or Jesse Boulerice on whoever he hit.

Those were dangerous hits, where players were hit from behind into the boards.

This was a player being hit from behind that fell into the boards. Big deference there.

Look at Jordan Staal's hit on Coburn earlier this year. That's more than a 2-minute minor. Maybe not a suspension, but definitely not a minor.

Barnzy02 said:
Boarding is scary but it's not a major, match, and suspension on every play.

Here's the randy jones hit i was talking about.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKsTZLVRfHo

That was an ugly hit, and IMO, worse than king on petro. But that doesn't negate that king's hit still was a major. It was not the dirtiest hit ever, just a dirty hit. That's what makes this so infuriating. This is a standard major and game with a 1 or 2 game suspension. The fact that it isn't, is what makes shanahan and the NHL a joke. Hockey is great, but the NHL is 4th rate organization.

Carkner doesn't get suspended for literally jumping a guy and beating him while he's down on the ice, and you want a 1 or 2 game suspension for that hit ?? Take the blue glasses off, honestly.

There was no malice or violent intent there, it was just an unfortunate play. It was called as it should have been.

I heard Pietro might be playing tonight anyway ....

I called it the new interference because it is the NHL latest effort to change the way the game has been played for decades. I would venture that most if us commenting here have played coached or affiliated hockey at some point. Since when do you not protect yourself when getting a sh*tty breakout pass on the wall. Turn your shoulder, turn your body, play the puck with your skate. That's like fourth day of hockey practice when I was six years old. That winger knows he's going to get checked. You never put yourself in that position to get crippled!!!
Colby Jack

ColbyJack said:
I called it the new interference because it is the NHL latest effort to change the way the game has been played for decades. I would venture that most if us commenting here have played coached or affiliated hockey at some point. Since when do you not protect yourself when getting a sh*tty breakout pass on the wall. Turn your shoulder, turn your body, play the puck with your skate. That's like fourth day of hockey practice when I was six years old. That winger knows he's going to get checked. You never put yourself in that position to get crippled!!!
Colby Jack

This x1,000

Barnzy02 said:
Carkner doesn't get suspended for literally jumping a guy and beating him while he's down on the ice, and you want a 1 or 2 game suspension for that hit ?? Take the blue glasses off, honestly.

There was no malice or violent intent there, it was just an unfortunate play. It was called as it should have been.

I heard Pietro might be playing tonight anyway ....

He probably will play, but that's really not the issue. Resorting to homer talk is the last refuge of a beaten mind by the way.

And the fact Carkner wasn't suspended just proves my point. The NHL sucks at discipline and officiating. There is no standards or consistency. That's the problem. I've got little to no point if this same play hasn't drawn a suspension this season.

Side note, i don't expect to hear any bitching when a blue goes after doughty or kopitar tonight. That's part of the game too.

This is exactly why the NHL needs to allow players to police themselves to a point, get rid of the instigator rule, and make players accountable for their actions, even if that means having to face off with someone and drop the gloves. Guarantee the number of suspendable incidents drops off when players have to answer the bell.

You all sound like you want the Broad Street Bullies back with this talk of King having to answer to the Blues tonight.

I called it the new interference because it is the NHL latest effort to change the way the game has been played for decades.

The fundamental rule change happened a few years ago when they eliminated the "bear hug" check in an effort to add more offense. You can no longer press a guy against the boards. Now must you make a hit and there lies the problem.

Damn right he doesn't get suspended. Not his fault Boyle is a turtle. If Boyle had of not been such a *****, it would have been a fight, not a "jumping mugging and damn near murder" that you people want it to be.

Gretz had Semenko. Karlsson has Carkner. Suck it up ladies.

arturo7 said:
The fundamental rule change happened a few years ago when they eliminated the "bear hug" check in an effort to add more offense. You can no longer press a guy against the boards. Now must you make a hit and there lies the problem.

That was the silly interference call I referenced. Obstruction holding!!! G*y.

StittsvilleJames said:
Damn right he doesn't get suspended. Not his fault Boyle is a turtle. If Boyle had of not been such a *****, it would have been a fight, not a "jumping mugging and damn near murder" that you people want it to be.

A fight is two men engaging one another with the intent of going to the box or locker room afterwards. Boyle had no intention of fighting that game. It was a good hit he laid. Same as our hit on Neil later in the series. It's one thing to pick on a sissy star like Crosby-- you'd better expect Orpik to blindside you. It's another to check a player open Ice with his head down, and then attack him... in another game. Deal with it that day boys. These grudge fu*ks are getting old.

FreshZ said:
He probably will play, but that's really not the issue. Resorting to homer talk is the last refuge of a beaten mind by the way.

And the fact Carkner wasn't suspended just proves my point. The NHL sucks at discipline and officiating. There is no standards or consistency. That's the problem. I've got little to no point if this same play hasn't drawn a suspension this season.

Side note, i don't expect to hear any bitching when a blue goes after doughty or kopitar tonight. That's part of the game too.

I was just implying that the leagues decisions for some reason are based on outcome not intent, when it comes to discipline.

And the homer comment, everyone hates to see guys on their team get hurt, hit like that. But, that hit really wasn't that bad, you got the two minutes and it was called as that, you're sounding like a homer saying he shoulda been suspended. Does that guy even have a history of 'dirty' hits? Serious question.

StittsvilleJames said:

And fights end when on guy is on the ice. Get outta here.

you comparing karlsson to Gretzky?

And fights end when on guy is on the ice. Get outta here.

you comparing karlsson to Gretzky?

If you bless with a star player, you must be willing to pay the price. That's what enforcing is. That's the whole goddam point!

If Boyle had of manned up and dropped his gloves, Carkner would have let up when he hit the ice. He didn't man up. He turtled. Ergo, he deserved what he got.

And I didn't compare Gretzky to Karlsson. Get your head out of your @ss and give it a shake.

Alright, seems like that Ovi chant backfired. Caps score 10 sec later. :mad:

Rangers with a late, momentum shifting goal. Seconds gonna be a shooting gallery. Why does everyone hate Hagelin??

Let's GO RaNGERS !!!!!!!!!!!

StittsvilleJames said:
If you bless with a star player, you must be willing to pay the price. That's what enforcing is. That's the whole goddam point!

If Boyle had of manned up and dropped his gloves, Carkner would have let up when he hit the ice. He didn't man up. He turtled. Ergo, he deserved what he got.

And I didn't compare Gretzky to Karlsson. Get your head out of your @ss and give it a shake.

Please he jumped him for a clean hit. It's was a bush league move. Until they remove the instigating penalty 'enforcers' serve no purpose. Quit trying to justify it, I know your team is done and you want to join the conversation. Sour grapes and all that good stuff.

For the record, I thought it was hilarious, I can't stand Boyle. I only brought it up for comparisons sake.

ColbyJack said:
Colby Jack

Was that before or after they taught you to keep your head up? If Hossa would've learned that little tidbit then he and Torres both could have played the rest of the season.

rjwhite41 said:
Was that before or after they taught you to keep your head up? If Hossa would've learned that little tidbit then he and Torres both could have played the rest of the season.

And no one would be talking about Neal's "dirty" hit on Boyle.

rjwhite41 said:

After-- check the posts... I've never mentioned dirty hits. No such thing in my mind!

Please he jumped him for a clean hit. It's was a bush league move. Until they remove the instigating penalty 'enforcers' serve no purpose. Quit trying to justify it, I know your team is done and you want to join the conversation. Sour grapes and all that good stuff.

For the record, I thought it was hilarious, I can't stand Boyle. I only brought it up for comparisons sake.

LOL. OK, it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about. It was because of the short jabs into Karlsson's face in the first game, not a 'clean hit'. lol

Dummy.

Alright, seems like that Ovi chant backfired. Caps score 10 sec later. :mad:

Rangers with a late, momentum shifting goal. Seconds gonna be a shooting gallery. Why does everyone hate Hagelin??

Let's GO RaNGERS !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm for the Rangers in this series, but the more you post the "Let's GO RaNGERS" useless sh_t, the more I regret my decision.

StittsvilleJames said:
LOL. OK, it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about. It was because of the short jabs into Karlsson's face in the first game, not a 'clean hit'. lol

Dummy.

This. Same thing Marchand(?) did to Sedin in the finals last year.

copyright1997 said:
I'm for the Rangers in this series, but the more you post the "Let's GO RaNGERS" useless sh_t, the more I regret my decision.

I'd really like to see the Caps win.

Christ, Dustin Brown has been responsible for 4 short-handed goals these playoffs... The guy is crazy explosive.

Caps are leading and LA is working toward beating my prediction of them winning in 7. Just want to see the Rangers out more than anything else in this series.

Latest posts

Back