Entertaining the Boy While Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest hurdle in brewing is the feeling that I have one day on the weekend to spend with the family and it is a bit selfish to spend that entire day brewing beer.

This Saturday, the wife and daughters will be gone most of the day...leaving me and an 8 year old boy at home. I want to brew but don't want to neglect the boy. So, I'm coming up with ideas of things I can do with him while brewing.

Ideas welcome.

I've already thought of maybe moving a TV into the garage and hooking up the Playstation so we can play Star Wars shoot 'em games while I babysit the boil.

Have him help. Hop additions, checking mash temp, easy stuff but he'll probably like participating (my 8 year old boy does) and we just hang out on the back deck together.He runs around when he gets bored sometimes, grabs a frisbee or a basketball, but he likes tossing stuff into the kettle. The Playstation is a good idea too.

What about going to bed a bit early the night before with all of your equipment/ingredients laid out / cleaned and ready to go? Wake up at 5, make coffee, start brewing by 5:30. By the time you're done, you'll still have the whole day ahead to spend with him. I'm considering doing this for the same reasons. (Late at night I end up screwing up too much).

What about going to bed a bit early the night before with all of your equipment/ingredients laid out / cleaned and ready to go? Wake up at 5, make coffee, start brewing by 5:30. By the time you're done, you'll still have the whole day ahead to spend with him. I'm considering doing this for the same reasons. (Late at night I end up screwing up too much).

I have considered this option, too. I'm up at 5:00 - 5:30 during the week anyway. Will it kill me to get up that early on a Saturday/Sunday?

EDIT: this option leaves open the possibility of even getting in some fishing, which is what he really wants to do.

My 6 year old son is very helpful for about 15 minutes.
He likes keeping time, checking the temp, measuring the hops
He constantly peppers me with questions, that keeps me on my toes

But after 15 minutes he just starts pulling all of his toys out of the garage were I Brew
and starts playing by in the yard. I'm glad the yard is fenced in, he can't wander off.
I just make sure I can see him, and he has his own kind of fun.

I have considered this option, too. I'm up at 5:00 - 5:30 during the week anyway. Will it kill me to get up that early on a Saturday/Sunday?

EDIT: this option leaves open the possibility of even getting in some fishing, which is what he really wants to do.

Sounds like a good plan !

I'm a fan of waking up early and brewing. At least that way I'm done by noon and can spend the rest of the day with the family

That's why I brew starting at 9 or 10 PM and do it at my brew buddy's house. The family can sleep and we can brew until whenever (usually until 1 or so) and be as loud as we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i was hoping this post didn't combine with 1 of cheezydemon's posts about brewing with the boys immersed in the brew for the last 10 minutes... :drunk:

10 minutes left in the boil at 10:30am. Mash tun already clean. Beautiful morning to sit outside with a cigar. Early morning brews are my new normal.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

I'm gonna start the early morning brew day as well. Let's me brew more and spend time with the family.

I'm gonna start the early morning brew day as well. Let's me brew more and spend time with the family.

Yep. By noon the boy and I will be hanging out. He's actually loving this because he has a morning of no nagging Sponge Bob in his PJ's. Even though I've told him he's missing out in a perfect morning for bike riding or shooting hoops.

I even fed the girls breakfast during the mash while the wife got ready for the wedding shower they have today. Excellent day.

Awesome!

:ban:

I generally enjoy beer after I drop the bittering addition in. It just feels right, but not until I've had lunch.

Back