Enter as a PA or an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
I searched before posted this but all I could find was threads for turning PAs into IPAs!
I brewed what was meant to be a IPA (somewhat on the low end of the scale). I got to tap the keg yesterday and by good it is awesome! Best (ok it is also my first!) (I)PA I have made and up there with the best I have tasted. But it is diffinately on the low end of the IPA style. I would go as far to say it is in that cross-over region of the PA - IPA styles. Now I want to enter this in our national comp (many months away so it will probably loss a fair bit of its aroma if I don't brew it again... which I will). I don't want to change anything on it so now I don't know if I should enter it as a "hoppy" PA or a "mild" IPA.
It definatly has a good aroma and flavour from the Nelson Sauvin but the bitterness is very smooth compared to harsh in the commercial IPAs I have had. About 6.5% ABV and golden.
So I ask you all, where do you think it would compete best - PA or IPA?

More info:
Grain bill 5.9 kg total (about 10% caramel)
Bittering 10 g Pacifica / 10 g Nelson Sauvin
Flavour 20 g NS
Aroma 20 g Pacifica
Dry 10 g NS (3 days)
OG 1.060 / FG 1.009
Yeast US05

Cheers all, Yeap it was around 45 IBU if I remember right. Going with the PA in the comp. (or maybe brew again twice one the same and one with more hops just to see what it's like :D)

Back