English IPA Water ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
I had my water analyzed and my Bicarbonate is 285. I would like to brew an English IPA and understand that BOT water has virtually no HCO3. It seems that the best solution is to dilute with distilled water. I was hoping to try a 1:1 ratio to get a HCO3 of approx 142.5. Is that enough or should I dilute more. Does anyone know what the upper limit is for HCO3 that would screw up an English IPA? Rest of water Profile: Na 82, Ca 92, Mg 33, SO4 93, Cl 32.
Thanks,
Mike

The residual alkalinity of your water is about 149. The RA of Burton water is somewhere between 0 and -75 depending on whose analysis of Burton water you are using. Diluting 1:1 with DI water would drop the RA to about 72 i.e. dilution by itself isn't going to do it. Adding 3.8 grams of gypsum to a gallon of your water and diluting with 3 gallons of RO water would get you to a slightly negative RA and should yield a decent IPA.

Back