English Brown Ale has seemed to have stopped fermenting after 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenEnnis

Reaction score
My English Brown Ale that has been in the fermenter for 6 days seems to have stopped bubbling. the first days it bubbled up a storm. I have my fermenter wrapped in a heavy sheet to help keep it warmer. for those that are not familiar, I brew in the basement because that's where I have the room to brew. it's approximately 62 degrees that's why I wrap the fermenter in a heavy sheet.

6 days is about normal. 62 degrees is only a couple degrees below what I consider ideal for fermentation temperature. What wort temperature are you getting at the peak of fermentation. Remember that the action of fermentation is exothermic and the wort temperature could rise 5-10 degrees. The heavy sheet could keep in too much heat at the peak of fermentation.

My English Brown Ale that has been in the fermenter for 6 days seems to have stopped bubbling. the first days it bubbled up a storm. I have my fermenter wrapped in a heavy sheet to help keep it warmer. for those that are not familiar, I brew in the basement because that's where I have the room to brew. it's approximately 62 degrees that's why I wrap the fermenter in a heavy sheet.

Fermentation being done CAN NOT be determined my counting days. Only two constant hydrometer readings 2 days apart can tell you that.

Without knowing the yeast you used nobody can be sure about the basement temperature and whether wrapping the fermenter is a good idea or not. For the yeasts I use, 62 degrees ambient temp is very near perfect with no wrapping. I'll leave it at that temp for a week, then bring it to 72 (or near that, not critical) for another 2 to 3 weeks which helps the yeast with cleanup of off flavors and lets a lot of yeast settle out so it doesn't go into my bottles.

6 days is about normal. 62 degrees is only a couple degrees below what I consider ideal for fermentation temperature. What wort temperature are you getting at the peak of fermentation. Remember that the action of fermentation is exothermic and the wort temperature could rise 5-10 degrees. The heavy sheet could keep in too much heat at the peak of fermentation.
I never thought to check the temp of the wort so I cant answer that. just did a SG check and it is at1.011

Fermentation being done CAN NOT be determined my counting days. Only two constant hydrometer readings 2 days apart can tell you that.
Actually I was asking if there was something wrong with the fermentation stopping after so few days

Actually I was asking if there was something wrong with the fermentation stopping after so few days

No. It's fairly common - if not normal - for fermentation to be complete within a few days.

No need to transfer to secondary. Just let it ride for a few more days and then check the SG again. If it's the same as your previous reading, then it's done and you can bottle/keg.

Nothing wrong with it being done at all. In fact it's normal!

If it's starts below 1.060 OG, it should be finished in under a week really, if it wasn't I'd be worried something was wrong.

Lack of airlock activity does not mean fermentation is over. The yeast are still doing their thing. There used to be a pinned thread about this, but I can't find it now.

Leave it alone, it will be fine. :)

-Dan

Latest posts

Back