Endless fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaiger

Reaction score
I brewed what I'm calling a Burton Strong Ale, because i used Burton Liquid yeast, I I know it's on the super malty side, I did that so it would ferment well. My question is: my beer has been fermenting for almost 3 weeks now, the air lock keeps going strong, at one point the air lock slow down and would bubble once every 45sec, then it recently shot back up to every 17sec... Is that normal?

I smelled the top of the air lock and it smells amazingly yummy and alcohboozey.

The airlock is a method to release gasses. It is not an indicator of the stage of the fermentation. What does your hydrometer, the only tool you likely have that will indicate whether fermentation is done or not, have to say?

The airlock is a method to release gasses. It is not an indicator of the stage of the fermentation. What does your hydrometer, the only tool you likely have that will indicate whether fermentation is done or not, have to say?

He is right get a reading.:D

kvess said:
He is right get a reading.:D

I will do that right away when I get home tonight. What am I looking for when I take the reading? I assume I'm looking for consistency reading across a few days, am I correct?

Do you know what your final gravity you was shooting for? If you dont know, get your starting gravity and the attenuation of your yeast and you can estamate to see where it should be.

Latest posts

Back