Emergency - gotta go...but my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got word that my mother who has been in remission from cancer, is not any longer and it has spread horribly. Of course they don't give her a date but are saying it is more in the days to weeks than months.... just lost a brother to the same cancer in October... still a little too raw for this news.

Need some advice... Brewed a Scottish Ale Sunday the 4th - O.G. 1.060 pitched with US-05 @ 68* that day. I am keeping it at around 61* (ambient) it was bubbling slowly by yesterday morning - no krausen until today and activity in the airlock is near constant now.

I need to leave Friday and though that should be enough time for this to ferment out (and anyway what is 5 gallons of beer compared to seeing my mother...) but would it be wise to raise the temp a couple of degrees to help it along or will that result in esthers I won't want? I usually do IPAs and APAs at around 63* with the same yeast and no bad tastes. Just my first Scottish Ale and I read you should ferment slow and cool.

Thoughts?

Thanks! Don

Do not raise the temp to rush it. Let it ferment slow and cool. If you have to head out of town no worries. It will be finished when you get back. A couple weeks or longer in primary are not going to hurt it :)

Thank you...

I am fermenting in a fastferment so I think I'll just dump the trub ball Friday (so if I'm gone three weeks-month it isn't sitting on old trub) and let it set.

Thanks again,
Don

My condolences to you and your mother and family. The only advice i can give is that if she is still to speak and hear you ask her questions about her childhood her most cherished memories life changing decisions she made or anything that you might find important to her and you and record all of this on your phone. God bless

Thank you all.

We leave Friday morning for the 2 day drive to Oregon... can't do that straight through thing anymore. Looks like all the mountainous areas from here to there will be snowy...oh joy!

Don

Well back after 3 weeks in Oregon...Mom's hanging in there but at 84 with advanced lung cancer.... Wouldn't be surprised to get a call this week saying come back - or have her still with us when we are scheduled to return on the 20th.

The Scottish ale is fine! Tastes pretty good right out of the fermenter for my first shot at this style (own recipe.) Lot of malt with just a touch of smoke, but might be slightly on the dry side, will see when it is carbed up.

No worries about keg space either...our house sitter blew both kegs while we were gone! Not much more than 3 gallons or so, I would have blown them in 3 weeks myself!

Gonna brew a Juicy APA Monday figuring it too can sit in the fermenter if we have to leave abruptly...dry hop in the keg when I get back.

Thanks again! Don

Sometimes a little bit of cheer (beer) means a lot. Congratulations on your brew.
I'm glad your Mom is holding on. I wish your whole family peace.

Condolences. I suggest something with a little more body than an APA just in case you have to leave it for a while. An APA will be OK if left to age for a while but a Porter or Stout will benefit if you age it longer.

My mother is turning 91 in 9 days. I live 1250 miles away. I really want to move there and hopefully have another 9 to 20 years with her around. Now to get my house on the market....

Thanks all... It's tough but like passedpawn, we have been down this road too... too many times. One family member a year since 2013, and undoubtedly mom will make it number 5 in 5 years. Only one not from cancer, hate that disease, watching loved ones slowly and painfully waste away...

Sorry for the rant...!!

Yep a porter or a stout would age better but I already have lots of both of those bottled up and just put a Scottish 80 Shilling into a keg today. Need an APA or an IPA on tap. It will just have to sit in the fermenter if need be.

Thanks again!

Don

Back