Element wouldn't fit through the hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
(that's what she said).

So I purchased this element for a RIMS build in 1.5" stainless pipe, but the fold over at the end wouldn't fit through the 1" adapter to screw it in. So a couple questions:

#1 - Am I just a moron and trying to assemble it wrong? I have the 1.5" tee, with a 1.5" to 1.0" bushing, and the fold over just wont' fit through that 1" hole. Is there some sort of mind-game that I'm supposed to be playing with here?

#2 - If not, I need a new element. I'm running 120v, not 240, so I'm not sure how that wattage affects the listed density ratings. Anything from this page is available locally for me. This says it's rated low watt density, and 1440 seems like a decently low number for this project.

I have everything else I need for the tube, and the last of the items for my control panel arrives today, so i'm hoping to get this knocked out this week, with local parts.

Help?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the exact same element (Amazon tells me I purchased that item last year when I follow your link). I have it mounted in this 1.5" to 1" reducing bushing, which threaded into this 1.5" tee. It went in fine. The other ports on the tee are 1.5" to 0.5" reducing bushings for the inlet and outlet (the temperature sensor is in a 0.5" tee attached to the outlet), as the element fits entirely inside the tee.

Which end of the foldover won't fit? The far end should be easy, but you might have to close up the fold if the near end won't fit.

Since the element is designed to be installed in a 1" NPS hole, if it doesn't fit though a 1" NPT hole, it's probably not folded correctly and not fit for purpose, and you should be able to get it replaced with a new one. At least one other Amazon review complains about this. You should also be able to return it because the picture on Amazon is nothing like the actual element.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I have the exact same bushing (amazon tells me so, lol).

It's the folded end that won't fit. It's like the fold isn't tight enough.

The question then becomes do I return to amazon and buy something locally (there are a couple 240v 4500w or 5500w elements available for about the same price, which would drop to 1125 and 1375, respectively, when run on a 120v circuit), or just start pounding on the thing with a hammer until it fits?

I'm leaning towards buying something locally, particularly this one

I'd say return it, and either buy an all stainless element from Bobby_M (brewhardware.com), or get a 4500 or 5500W element locally.

I think when I end up going full e-brew I'll probably go with brewhardware.com, but budget is a big issue at the moment, so I'll probably just grab locally. Thanks

Anything that is 240v will work at 120v, just divide the wattage by 4. So, a 5500w element will be 1375. This has the added benefit of making it SUPER low wattage, as most of the 240v elements are much larger than the 120v elements. FWIW, Im building my system around brewhardware's 5500w all stainless elements. My RIMS tube will be using one running at 120v (1375w) for mashing, with the option to switch to 240v for cleaning, heating mash water, etc.

Ended up getting a 5500w 240/1125 120 element at Lowes for 14 bucks, fits great, will just need a bit of pounding to keep it off the tube itself, but definitely exactly what I'm lookin for, and something I can repurpose when I go full ebrew in the far far future.

Ended up getting a 5500w 240/1125 120 element at Lowes for 14 bucks, fits great, will just need a bit of pounding to keep it off the tube itself, but definitely exactly what I'm lookin for, and something I can repurpose when I go full ebrew in the far far future.

FYI there is ceramic insulation inside the metal element shell so "pounding" it can actually kill it or cause hotspots...

Back