Electronic part identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
This isn't brewing related but figured the HBT guys are pretty knowledgeable in all areas...We have a sandwich/omelette maker (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CFCSNA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) that my wife loves. Well, it recently took a crap. I can't find a replacement so I thought I'd try to fix it. I'm trying to identify a part that's inside it. Some pictures are below. The larger piece with 2 holes is just used to hold the center piece in place. The two contacts were wired to neutral and hot. Thanks!

2012-03-04_12-12-06_47.jpg

2012-03-04_12-12-15_983.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely a high limit.
Contacts open and interrupt current flow at 185C (365F).

Replace with Klixon (Sensata) device or similar.

Edit:
OK, reading your post in detail, if you are sure that it was wired *across* line to neutral, it was a normally open switch, that closes on rise. At 185C it shorts. This is a crowbar type of protection. Messy and brutal.

Check the wiring and I think you will find that it is in series with the line to thermostat, or the thermostat to heater.

I agree, probably the high-limit thermal fuse. Using a multimeter, the terminals should have about zero ohms between them.

If it is open, then it's bad; if so, you might check out the thermostat too. It might be the real source of the problem.

Thanks guys! I'm going to open this guy up a little more. At first I didn't really see any other parts that might be causing the problem. I'll see if I can find a thermostat of some sort. It would be much easier to just buy a new one but can't seem to find it.

This is HBT, guys do crazy stuff here. Remove the thermostat, and have the first PID controlled waffle maker!

I know it's not the DIY way but the cheaper and faster solution may be to scavenge from this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290675523270

Price on this seems a bit high given that Woot sold them for $15 at one point.

Yeah, I saw that one on ebay. I would rather just buy one. I think we paid $10-15 for it a few years ago. It would probably end up being more than that to fix it. Either way, SWMBO would be VERY happy if I could figure something out. It would be especially good if I got assistance from the brewing community (she thinks I'm wasting too much time on HBT).

Back