Electric system with 10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBrewer306

Reaction score
Good morning everybody!

I use 19.5L/~5gal sankey kegs, and I don't have a ton of time to brew. Is there an electric system that can allow me to brew double batches?

Thanks

A lot of us build our own electric systems. If you feel like DIY'ing one, there's a ton of threads on here covering it as well as the site that started it for many; Building Your Brewery
As to your other thread on Brewzilla vs Grainfather.. if you go the Brewzilla route, you get these extension units for it:
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/brewzilla-12l-extension.htmlhttps://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/brewzilla-maltpipe-ext.html
I've been brewing for decades, but I'm just getting into all grain, that might be a bit advanced for me to piece together a system. I'm not sure what my preferences are yet... maybe I need to suck it up and just do 5gal batches.

I have one of these from brewhardware.com, with the 15-gallon kettle:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/biabpackagepremium.htm
Works great for 5-gallon batches; for a 10-gallon batch of Märzen I needed about a gallon and a half of top-up water--the kettle wasn't quite big enough. But it also comes with a 20-gallon kettle, which would be plenty for your needs.

Do you really want 10 gallons of the same beer? Or rather 2 different ones at 5 gallons each?

I used to do 10 gallon batches, but over the years I started to appreciate having more variety. So I now often brew two different 5-gallon batches, back to back. There's only one cleanup. ;)

If you want to brew 2 IPAs using different hops, you could brew a double-size batch and split the wort before adding the late boil or whirlpool hops.

If you want to save time, think of using a second heating source and kettle, so you can heat your strike water for the next batch, or even start the mash, using a 2nd heating source while boiling/chilling the current batch.
In that light, I really like induction (3500W),* it's fast. Now for just heating water (no risk of scorching) anything would work, even a big bucket heater, or a gas burner.

* Induction does require a kettle that's induction capable.
Mind, a kettle being non-magnetic doesn't always mean it's not induction-ready. I have one kettle like that, it works 100% fine on induction, although a magnet won't stick to it. So you do need to make sure the kettle works on induction if you go that way.

A big plus-one on the single vessel systems that Bobby builds at BrewHardware.com.

He has a few more options of kettle since I bought mine last Christmas (I'm in Ontario). I am quite happy with mine.
I'm in the butt-hole of Ontario myself and if it were feasable I'd order everything from @Bobby_M but the duty and shipping are killer. I've kinda lusted over the 20G version of that unit... Would you mind telling me what the final cost was in $CAD after the $USD price?

I'm in the butt-hole of Ontario myself and if it were feasable I'd order everything from @Bobby_M but the duty and shipping are killer. I've kinda lusted over the 20G version of that unit... Would you mind telling me what the final cost was in $CAD after the $USD price?

I bought the 10 gal Spike kettle version. I already had a pump so @Bobby_M deducted that from the order. I went with the Brew Commander controller.

The bill was US$1,112.49 and by the time Visa took their chunk, I was at CDN$1,568.71.

Helps me produce some of the clearest wort, I've ever seen..

Attachments

• PXL_20230817_235652790.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230817_235652790.MP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 95a3fd48-7946-4123-9230-ee00fd0d66b7.jpg
    95a3fd48-7946-4123-9230-ee00fd0d66b7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230817_140953_124.jpg
    IMG_20230817_140953_124.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230817_190655757.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230817_190655757.MP.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks! That cost isn't as bad as I was worried it would be. :) I'm assuming there was a controller as well, the Auber Cube?
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tempcontrol_cube5e_bhcustomb.htm@SaskBrewer306 : The 15 or 20G version of this is definitely one to consider given your criteria. Everyone who has one one here seems to rave about them and in my opinion it's probably the best thought out turnkey BIAB system out there...I'm still thinking about one myself, but I live at near-poverty so it's a very hard call. I can say you won't find an equivalent ready to go system like this in Canada...believe me, I've been looking for a few years!
:mug:

This highlights a huge benefit of a modular system (like @Bobby_M 's) over all-in-one integrated systems like Grainfather and Brewzilla. Nothing against them, but... if (when!) something fails, the manufacturer is your only rescue.

Their replacement part prices may not be competitive. They may not even exist anymore. You could end up with a "brick." Not so with a modular approach.

Best of luck with your new system, whatever way you go, @SaskBrewer306 .

Thanks! That cost isn't as bad as I was worried it would be. :) I'm assuming there was a controller as well, the Auber Cube?
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tempcontrol_cube5e_bhcustomb.htm@SaskBrewer306 : The 15 or 20G version of this is definitely one to consider given your criteria. Everyone who has one one here seems to rave about them and in my opinion it's probably the best thought out turnkey BIAB system out there...I'm still thinking about one myself, but I live at near-poverty so it's a very hard call. I can say you won't find an equivalent ready to go system like this in Canada...believe me, I've been looking for a few years!
:mug:
That looks interesting, but I'm not sure what to buy... all grain is new to me. I've done a grain mash before for distilling with limited success/minimal effort put in. Just getting back into beers after a few decade hiatus from extract brewing.

This highlights a huge benefit of a modular system (like @Bobby_M 's) over all-in-one integrated systems like Grainfather and Brewzilla. Nothing against them, but... if (when!) something fails, the manufacturer is your only rescue.

Their replacement part prices may not be competitive. They may not even exist anymore. You could end up with a "brick." Not so with a modular approach.

Best of luck with your new system, whatever way you go, @SaskBrewer306 .
This is also a concern for me, especially since my local brew shop is closing up this year very sadly... I'll have no support outside of forums. It sounds like the support from the manufacturers is minimal except for grainfather... which isn't as affordable.

Do you really want 10 gallons of the same beer? Or rather 2 different ones at 5 gallons each?

I used to do 10 gallon batches, but over the years I started to appreciate having more variety. So I now often brew two different 5-gallon batches, back to back. There's only one cleanup. ;)

If you want to brew 2 IPAs using different hops, you could brew a double-size batch and split the wort before adding the late boil or whirlpool hops.

If you want to save time, think of using a second heating source and kettle, so you can heat your strike water for the next batch, or even start the mash, using a 2nd heating source while boiling/chilling the current batch.
In that light, I really like induction (3500W),* it's fast. Now for just heating water (no risk of scorching) anything would work, even a big bucket heater, or a gas burner.

* Induction does require a kettle that's induction capable.
Mind, a kettle being non-magnetic doesn't always mean it's not induction-ready. I have one kettle like that, it works 100% fine on induction, although a magnet won't stick to it. So you do need to make sure the kettle works on induction if you go that way.
I have a lot of kegs and go through a lot of beer, especially in the summer. Too much isn't a problem for me... I'd just put them aside and let them clear for an extra few weeks.

Back