Electric setup control box help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyeofdaHawk

Reaction score
Hi all

First post here so i'll say a quick 'hi', from down under.

I just bought an all electric setup (three vessle 70Ls each - around 17 gallons i think) - to upgrade from my grainfather. The new setup could otherwise be considered just parts so far. What makes it a bit tricky though, is that i have 2x2200 w elements for the HLT and Boil Kettle (BK). Due to this ive dediced the only real option is to build a control box. I've not had any success finding a diagram for this (and don't know how to create one - or even know what i'd need). I have pretty much no electrical knowledge.

Any suggestions and help are more than welcome for this electrical rookie.

Cheers

Hawk

Hi all

First post here so i'll say a quick 'hi', from down under.

I just bought an all electric setup (three vessle 70Ls each - around 17 gallons i think) - to upgrade from my grainfather. The new setup could otherwise be considered just parts so far. What makes it a bit tricky though, is that i have 2x2200 w elements for the HLT and Boil Kettle (BK). Due to this ive dediced the only real option is to build a control box. I've not had any success finding a diagram for this (and don't know how to create one - or even know what i'd need). I have pretty much no electrical knowledge.

Any suggestions and help are more than welcome for this electrical rookie.

Cheers

Hawk

I can probably put a wiring schematic diagram together for you, if you provide a little more information about everything in the system (elements and wattages, pumps, other devices that need to be controlled), and any specific features you want (alarms, lights, volt/amp meter, etc.) I don't know anything about the electric system in Australia, but should be able to find out enough on-line.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks Doug

I picked up this https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/55l-std-3-vessel-system-no-standand swapped the gas burner for 2 more 2200w 10 amp heating elements (4 x 2200w in total). I also got an additional pump.

I'm hoping to use the DSPR310 for the HLT (so i can do step mashes) and the BK. Would be handy to get a temp reader for the mash tun too. On lights for the elements would be handy (for just the HLT and BK, ie one for each pot), as well as an alarm and volt/amp meter and buttons for the pumps. Probably need a switch to get power for the HLT or BK.

If any of this seems silly, let me know, i really am a rookie here.

Aussie power appears to be 220 - 240v. Sadly can't say much more.

Thanks again.

Hawk

Oh and just concluded we have a GFCI in our fuse box. They're called RCD's here and we had to have one installed (i think) when we got an air conditioner installed a few months ago.

Latest posts

Back