Electric Rocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
Just finished my first brew day in my new homemade 120v eKettle. I pulled off two 5-gallon brews in just under 6 hours including prep and cleanup and pitching. The best part was my lack of presence during the whole process, just set it and forget it!!

Pr:mad:pane sucks, I'm electric for life now :ban::ban::ban:

Thanks to everyone here for all your awesome ideas I stole to build my system, I couldn't have done it without you.

I'm interested in some pics! I'd like to go electric but don't want to do 220v and I'm cheap. How did you setup your kettle?

My build cost was closer to $300 including a big shiny brand new 15 gallon pot. My controller is a simple on/off gfci box, elements are 120v 1650w. All parts sourced from amazon and lowes. It brought 7 gallons of delicious wort from 170 to a full rolling boil in 15 minutes. It also somehow brought 12 gallons of water from 60 to boiling in a little over an hour so I'm more than happy with that.

Inspired by:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=304914
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=131411
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=269164
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/node/9?page=show

Putting everything together:
eKettle (1).jpg

Checking for leaks:
eKettle (2).jpg

Installing wiring:
eKettle (3).jpg

Wiring control box:
eKettle (4).jpg

Finished control box:
eKettle (5).jpg

All setup:
eKettle (6).jpg

2 gallon test boil:
eKettle (7).jpg

Test-Boiling 12 gallons!!!:
eKettle (8).jpg

First eBrew day:
eKettle (9).jpg

Boiling Wort:

Last edited by a moderator:
True story! Electric is where it's at! I can regulate my mash temp and be alerted to strike temps by a buzzer all the while keeping equipment minimal by doing BIAB

Had to look that one up:

"Steinbier (pronounced [ˈʃtaɪnˌbiːɐ], German for stone beer) is a type of beer that was predominant in Carinthia until the beginning of the 20th century. It was also common in Scandinavia, Franconia and south-western Germany.[1]

Steinbier is not mashed in kettles, but in wooden tubs. Its name is derived from the hot stones that were put into the mashing tubs to achieve the required temperature for production. Due to the contact of the glowing, hot stones—often heated directly in the fire—with the malt, the resulting beer has a taste of caramel and soot. This was a traditional brewing process; top-fermenting yeasts and a taste of fruity ester were usual and there was no emphasis on long term storability. Steinbier was usually not filtered.[2]"

Cool. Never heard of that!

Kal

P.S. Can't be #195. That was a German pils. Next one's #199. ;)

My other hobby is ham radio, so naturally setting up an electric brewery was a must. I am lucky in that I've been doing AC electronics homebrewing (that's a real ham radio term!!!) for more than 20 years, so it was easy to take off running with electric brewing. The internet is a wealth of resources, both from the parts and instruction angles. With some cheap Al kettles a cordless drill and a trip to Lowe's, you can brew some decent beer without wasting an entire Saturday. Your electric brewery will also be the envy of all your ham radio nerd buddies.....

I started my build last year. I'm finally putting the finishing touches to it. I should have switched 5 years ago! The time I save alone is worth the cost. Not to mention no more lugging around 11 gallons of boiling wort! Pumps are the next best thing sense IPAs. Now I just need more kegs.

Noggins, you need to add an "11" to that dial :rockin:

That was the plan, I drew 11 ticks, marked the 5, marked the 0, and everything fell apart. I considered trying to change the 10 to 11, or maybe adding an 11 after the 10 or sneaking in an extra tick, but by the time the thought completely formed I had lost interest.

Let's say switch 1 is for 0 to 10, and switch 2 goes to 11 :rockin:

Would it be possible to do a 2.5gal or 3gal batch in the 5gallon system?

By 5 gallon system do you mean they're smallest counter top system or the one I linked to?

Not sure about the one I linked to because I have an older version with a 36 quart kettle, but the small system should be able to. Email them and ask.

By 5 gallon system do you mean they're smallest counter top system or the one I linked to?

Not sure about the one I linked to because I have an older version with a 36 quart kettle, but the small system should be able to. Email them and ask.

I was referring to the 5gal system you linked.

Thinking about getting a electric system and it would be nice if I could do two different batch sizes with one system. I will email them to confirm.

edit: used the contact tab on the website and got a quick response, 2.5gal or 3gal batches in not a problem on the 5gal system.

Last edited:
Back