Electric heat keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aarons13

Reaction score
I have a 15.5 gal keg for my boiler aka kettle with 2" ccvm still.and want to switch over from gas to electrical,my issue is I rent and only have 120v remotely close to my setup so what option due I have for heating element with 120v no options for running or getting 240v at this time landlord is urgh. Also what about a controller to run the element? Any plans for building one something very simple,or place and part number to buy already built controllers? Thanks

Few hundred I guess never really thought about it much.i mean already got my still and keg so now just wanna convert to more reliable and efficient heat source

Certainly doable. Do you have access to tools, work area, and reasonably competent as a DIYer?

I have a 15.5 gal keg for my boiler aka kettle with 2" ccvm still.and want to switch over from gas to electrical,my issue is I rent and only have 120v remotely close to my setup so what option due I have for heating element with 120v no options for running or getting 240v at this time landlord is urgh. Also what about a controller to run the element? Any plans for building one something very simple,or place and part number to buy already built controllers? Thanks[/QUOTE

With only 120 volts, you are somewhat limited on power potential for boiling, and that prevents you from fully utilizing the volume of a kettle based on a brewery keg.
Ideally, you would want to verify that your 120 volt breaker is 20 amps and not 15 amps.
All things considered, I am not sure I would go the brewery keg approach until you live somewhere with a 240 volt power source.

Last edited:
You certainly an use the 15 gallon keg, but don't expect to be doing 10 gallon batches or anything with 120V. I've used a few different systems with 120V/1650W elements. Those do OK for 5 gallon batches, and with the freedom that electric brewing gives you with a controller (not having to babysit your brew continually, being able to brew indoors- with good ventilation), it's probably worth it. What's even better though is a 120V/2250W element. This requires a 20A/120V service (outlet has one vertical plug blade, one horizontal blade), but performs phenomenally better that the 1650W elements.

Depending on what you want to do with your 15 gallon keggle, you could go the RIMS route with a 2250W element (or Blichmann RIMS Rocket 2000W) and do eBIAB with a pump to circulate things, and have a second 2250W element (BrewHardware has good affordable ones) that's in the keggle that you switch over to when you pull the BIAB bag out and are ready to boil. Blichmann also has a 2250W/120V Boil Coil that would probably fit in there (guessing, check your measurements), but will be pricey-er.

As for a controller, Blichmann's new BrewCommander is pretty spectacular. I just finished reviewing one and was super-impressed. Their old controller was over-priced and under-featured. This new one has a ton of great features and comes in cheaper than much simpler/lesser controllers.

Latest posts

Back